The Milwaukee Chapter Daughters of The American Revolution has announced the winners of the annual American History Essay Contest. The 2009-10 topic is "Describe how you felt on May 10, 1869, when the golden spike was driven at Promontory Summit, Utah, to celebrate the completion of the First Transcontinental Railroad. Pretend you are either a settler planning to use the train to travel to your new home in the West, an Irish or Chinese worker who helped build the line, or a Native American whose way of life was greatly affected by the railroad."
The 7th grade winner is Maleka Laster from Brown Deer Middle School. She is a student of Mrs. Diana Krosky. The 8th grade winner is Maggie Beck from Saint Monica School in Whitefish Bay. Dr. Anne Rice is her teacher. Each girl received a $100 U.S. Savings Bond, bronze medal and a certificate.
The awards were presented to the students during a luncheon at the Wisconsin Club (Milwaukee) on Friday, February 5, 2010. The girls' parents, teachers and other relatives were in attendance along with Milwaukee Chapter DAR members.
The National Society Daughters of The American Revolution is committed to preserving American Heritage and encouraging an interest in studying American History.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brown Deer resident wins grant through Northwestern Mutual Days of Sharing program
- "Battle of the Bays" winner announced by BloodCenter of WI
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin to Host Season of Giving Blood Drive
- Diversified Insurance Solutions Hires Brown Deer Resident
- Lutheran A Cappella Choir Presents "Glad Tidings of Great Joy"
- 8th Grade Girls Volleyball Teams Brings the Seton Banner Back to St. Mary Parish School
- Dr. Catherine Ferderbar Awarded for Outstanding Teaching and Service
- Leah Schiman will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- Mark Travel Aids Milwaukee's Hungry
- Concordia University Celebrates Winter Commencement on December 13