Plein Air Painting Competition Announced as Part of Concordia's Lake Moon Festival Aug. 9
Concordia University and the Cedarburg Art Museum are excited to announce a Plein Air painting competition as part of the inaugural Lake Moon Festival on Aug. 9 on Concordia's campus. The Festival runs from 4:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m. Artists may check-in between 2:00 and 5:00 p.m., with the competition continuing until the end of the Festival.
“In this one day event, artists will find a delightful and inspiring setting to paint ‘en Plein Air’, a French expression that means ‘in the open air’,” said Festival Spokeswoman, Gretchen Jameson. “CUW provides a perfect site for this competition. With views of beautiful Lake Michigan from atop CUW’s bluff, to stairs leading down to the beach, the setting gives participants a myriad of painting venues.”
“The bluff overlooking the lake is just beautiful,” said Cedarburg Art Museum Director, Jill Hepburn. “The way the water plays with light always makes for good subject matter. And with the festival going on and all the people and boats on campus there should be lots of interesting and dynamic painting.”
Registration is open until Aug. 5 at a cost of $25. There will be two divisions for competition, a general category for beginner and seasoned painters, and student category for artists in high school and college. Art supplies will be available for children to participate at no charge, with each receiving a participation ribbon.
Artists may submit two paintings. At least one painting, per the artist’s choice, will be displayed in the Concordia Center for Environmental Stewardship (CCES) Exhibition Hall. Winners will be chosen, with monetary prizes ranging from $50 to $500. In addition, the grand prize winner will be mentioned in an upcoming issue of the “Concordian”, CUW’s alumni magazine that goes out to more than 61,000 households.
“Beyond the prizes, the camaraderie of painting with other artists, the great scenery, and the chance to have work shown on the campus are compelling reasons to register,” added Hepburn. “The show will hang through Aug. 26 which means it will be seen by all the people coming to campus at the beginning of the school year. It will be a great opportunity for the artists to have their paintings seen and hopefully purchased.”
To register to compete in the Plein Air competition, or to get more information, visit http://cedarburgartmuseum.com/Calls_for_Entry.html, or call 262-377-6123.
The Lake Moon Festival is a free event for the public including, a 5k, food, music, bluff tours, kite building and flying, and a boat parade. For more information on the festival, visit http://www.lakemoonfestival.com/.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Cupid’s Arrow Points to Transparency: A thing or two to learn from wealthy couples
- Player Alumni Resources Announces Second Annual Green Bay Packers Alumni Charity Fishing Tournament & VIP Event to Benefit Stars and Stripes Honor Flight
- Trivia Night at Saint Anthony's Parish
- Annex Wealth Management to Host Women, Wine & Wealth - A "Sandwich Generation" Break February 24 at Harvey's Central Grill
- Daddy Daughter Date Night at Sky Zone February 11
- UWP March Science Night - Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease
- UW-Parkside Traditions of Excellence Nominations
- Talk on Religion, Ecology and Identity in Southern Africa at UWM Feb. 19
- Allrite Home & Remodeling Wins Milwaukee NARI Gold Award
- Nicolet High School Presents James and the Giant Peach