The risks of smoking while pregnant really do not need to be explained to any future mother to be. It is a well known fact that the use of tobacco products, drugs or alcohol while pregnant can lead to many complications during birth, increase the risk of a child being born with defects or even lead to a miscarriage.
Recently, while attending a meeting hosted by the Wisconsin African American Tobacco Prevention Network (WAATPN), I discovered that the State of Wisconsin’s Pregnancy and Risk Assessment Monitoring System, also known as PRAMS, reported that between the years 2007 and 2011, 26% of the 5,400 mothers who participated in the survey smoked whiled pregnant. Of that 26%, 9% quit smoking, 6% reduced the amount that they smoked and 11% smoked just as much, if not more than they did before becoming pregnant.
The numbers from this study were startling and disappointing. If 26% of the 5,400 smoked while pregnant, that means 1,404 innocent children were put in danger. Yes, there was a 26% decrease, but the fact remains that mothers are still smoking while pregnant.
As a community we need to encourage each other to be healthy and provide a healthy environment for our children. An environment full of smoke and other toxins is not a healthy one. If people do not know the risks, they need to be educated. Smoking while pregnant suggests a lack of care and concern for the child.
This Mother’s Day, I present this challenge to all mothers-to-be. If you don’t want to quit smoking for yourself, please consider quitting for the health of your unborn child.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wil-Kil Pest Control Advises Travelers to Take Precautions Against Bed Bugs this Spring Travel Season
- Do You Have a Silent Leak? Southeast Wisconsin Plumber Suggests Auditing Water Bill
- NEWCASTLE PLACE TO HOST MEMORIES IN THE MAKING® ART SHOWCASE
- End the Silence Panel Event
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA Local professional group secures prominent Latina celebrity for upcoming fundraiser
- Home & Garden Show Runs March 25-29
- 6 Break-in within 2 blocks over the last week. Not a cop in sight
- Village of Brown Deer To Roll Out The Barrels This Summer
- Campus Notes
- BloodCenter to Host Milwaukee Bucks Blood Drive