The risks of smoking while pregnant really do not need to be explained to any future mother to be. It is a well known fact that the use of tobacco products, drugs or alcohol while pregnant can lead to many complications during birth, increase the risk of a child being born with defects or even lead to a miscarriage.
Recently, while attending a meeting hosted by the Wisconsin African American Tobacco Prevention Network (WAATPN), I discovered that the State of Wisconsin’s Pregnancy and Risk Assessment Monitoring System, also known as PRAMS, reported that between the years 2007 and 2011, 26% of the 5,400 mothers who participated in the survey smoked whiled pregnant. Of that 26%, 9% quit smoking, 6% reduced the amount that they smoked and 11% smoked just as much, if not more than they did before becoming pregnant.
The numbers from this study were startling and disappointing. If 26% of the 5,400 smoked while pregnant, that means 1,404 innocent children were put in danger. Yes, there was a 26% decrease, but the fact remains that mothers are still smoking while pregnant.
As a community we need to encourage each other to be healthy and provide a healthy environment for our children. An environment full of smoke and other toxins is not a healthy one. If people do not know the risks, they need to be educated. Smoking while pregnant suggests a lack of care and concern for the child.
This Mother’s Day, I present this challenge to all mothers-to-be. If you don’t want to quit smoking for yourself, please consider quitting for the health of your unborn child.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Annex Wealth Management to Host Women, Wine & Wealth - A "Sandwich Generation" Break February 24 at Harvey's Central Grill
- Daddy Daughter Date Night at Sky Zone February 11
- UWP March Science Night - Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease
- UW-Parkside Traditions of Excellence Nominations
- Talk on Religion, Ecology and Identity in Southern Africa at UWM Feb. 19
- Allrite Home & Remodeling Wins Milwaukee NARI Gold Award
- Nicolet High School Presents James and the Giant Peach
- Fun Fair is Coming to Brown Deer!
- Area’s Best Remodelers Honored during Milwaukee NARI’s Prestigious Wisconsin Remodeler of the Year Awards
- SAVE THE DATE! - February 27, 2016 – Get Ready to Shake, Rattle and Roll those Dice!