InformMT will host an encore screening of RACE TO NOWHERE on Wednesday, February 6 at 6:30pm in the Lecture Hall at Homestead High School, Mequon, WI. The 85-minute film will be followed by a panel discussion including HHS Guidance Counselor Dave Markson, Starting Point of Ozaukee Executive Director Shea Halula, Mequon-Thiensville School District Medical Director Dr. Dirk Steinert and parent Mark Hahn. The event is free and open to the public and was first shown in Mequon last September.
RACE TO NOWHERE is a look at the dark side of the achievement culture. The film, which runs 85 minutes, offers a close-up look at the pressures on today's students, offering an intimate view of lives packed with activities, leaving little room for down-time or family time.
The film makes the point that parents today are expected to raise high-achieving children who are good at everything: academics, sports, the arts, community-service. The film tackles the
tragic side of our often achievement-obsessed culture, with interviews that explore the
hidden world of over-burdened schedules, student suicide, academic cheating, and young
people who have checked out.
RACE TO NOWHERE asks the question: Are the young people of today prepared to step fully and productively into their future?
Written by filmmaker Vicki Abeles in response to events in her own family and community, the film raises important questions that should be considered by every parent.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brown Deer resident wins grant through Northwestern Mutual Days of Sharing program
- "Battle of the Bays" winner announced by BloodCenter of WI
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin to Host Season of Giving Blood Drive
- Diversified Insurance Solutions Hires Brown Deer Resident
- Lutheran A Cappella Choir Presents "Glad Tidings of Great Joy"
- 8th Grade Girls Volleyball Teams Brings the Seton Banner Back to St. Mary Parish School
- Dr. Catherine Ferderbar Awarded for Outstanding Teaching and Service
- Leah Schiman will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- Mark Travel Aids Milwaukee's Hungry
- Concordia University Celebrates Winter Commencement on December 13