How many of you would leave everything behind? Leave your family, your home, your job - so you could travel thousands of miles away - only to put your life at risk, for minimal pay. Probably not many of us, but that is exactly what thousands of our brave service men and women have done. They’ve left everything so they can serve our country.
That’s why we continue to do our small part by organizing an Adopt a Platoon drive. As we look forward to our holiday dinners – passing turkey, ham, potatoes, and salads around the table – they’d be happy finding a granola bar in their vest pocket when they finally get a chance to eat. Help us show them that we care – and most importantly – that we appreciate the service and sacrifices they have made for the freedoms we enjoy every day.
The unit we’ve been assigned is the 101st CAB. These 20 soldiers (including one woman) are from Kentucky, and are members of a Maintenance Platoon currently serving in Afghanistan. Their purpose - if it’s broke – they fix it. They live in CHU’s (containerized housing units), have non-potable running water for bathing, and 220V generator power. They do have a small under-stocked PX Store where they can get a few “basic” necessities, and a Chow Hall that is normally closed once they get time to eat.
We’re going to ship our boxes out in late November so they get there by Christmas. So please don’t delay…….we’d like to have all donations in by November 14th so we can hit our deadline. To drop off donated items, please see the contact information below. If you’d prefer that we do the shopping for you, or to help cover shipping costs – please drop off or send a check made out to BDCRG (with “Adopt a Platoon” on the message line) to the address below. Whether you donate items, a check, or nothing at all – they’d still like to hear from you. Letters from home are always appreciated and help lift their spirits. If you don’t know what to write, just take a picture of yourselves and write a big “Thank You” on the back.
(For their protection, the Adopt a Platoon Program asks that children who write letters do not supply a last name or address).
8214 N. 55th Street
Brown Deer, WI 53223
For more information on dropping off, or picking up, your donation, please call Larry Kornblum at 414-702-8958, or visit our website: http://bdcrg.wordpress.com/
Thank You for Your Support!
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Save the Date! (Sunday, April 26) – BD Annual Early Bird Community Rummage Sale!
- Wil-Kil Pest Control Advises Travelers to Take Precautions Against Bed Bugs this Spring Travel Season
- Do You Have a Silent Leak? Southeast Wisconsin Plumber Suggests Auditing Water Bill
- NEWCASTLE PLACE TO HOST MEMORIES IN THE MAKING® ART SHOWCASE
- End the Silence Panel Event
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA Local professional group secures prominent Latina celebrity for upcoming fundraiser
- Home & Garden Show Runs March 25-29
- 6 Break-in within 2 blocks over the last week. Not a cop in sight
- Village of Brown Deer To Roll Out The Barrels This Summer
- Campus Notes