Forty-one brave teenagers, representing 11 different schools from the Northshore area have committed to a new non-profit servant leadership organization to travel to either Kingston, Jamaica or Guatemala to volunteer at orphanages, schools, and a garbage dump community. Each local student will learn about their place as a global citizen and what it means to be a community leader, no matter what community they live in. They have been preparing for their journey at Concordia University hearing from other local leaders such as Homestead alum, Neil Willenson, the founder of Camp Heartland (now One Heartland) on what it means to serve others. Neil also educated our Pivotal Directions teens on what it will be like serving orphaned children living with HIV. Each teen has committed to bringing back their unique experiences of servant leadership into our own community. When they return they continue their education meeting with community leaders, or as we like to call them, "Ordinary People Doing Extraordinary Things". Beyond the cost of the trip that their families and friends have supported they are hosting a larger rummage sale fundraiser on Saturday, May 26th at the US Bank parking lot on the corner of Mequon Rd. and Port Washington Rd. from 8am-2pm. The proceeds go to fund the various projects that Pivotal Directions supports, both on the student international trips, as well as community outreach here. One example of their projects abroad is to build a 12 foot by 12 foot house from start to finish for a family living in a garbage dump community far from the luxury resorts in Jamaica. The perspective they will gain from these types of experiences will strengthen their involvement with those less fortunate in our own communities throughout their life. You can support their cause by either donating gently used household items, clothes, or furniture to the rummage sale or stop by and buy something. Our student organization will even pick up any of your spring cleaning items you are will to donate to this non-profit.
Call 414-403-2279 for more details or see our website for a picture of our students and drop off dates at www.pivotaldirections.org. We can't wait to share with you our service-learning adventures when we return.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Player Alumni Resources Announces Second Annual Green Bay Packers Alumni Charity Fishing Tournament & VIP Event to Benefit Stars and Stripes Honor Flight
- Trivia Night at Saint Anthony's Parish
- Annex Wealth Management to Host Women, Wine & Wealth - A "Sandwich Generation" Break February 24 at Harvey's Central Grill
- Daddy Daughter Date Night at Sky Zone February 11
- UWP March Science Night - Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease
- UW-Parkside Traditions of Excellence Nominations
- Talk on Religion, Ecology and Identity in Southern Africa at UWM Feb. 19
- Allrite Home & Remodeling Wins Milwaukee NARI Gold Award
- Nicolet High School Presents James and the Giant Peach
- Fun Fair is Coming to Brown Deer!