On Wednesday, March 21st, four St. Mary students participated in the Menomonee Falls
Optimist Club’s annual Oratorical Contest. These students had to write and present a 4-5 minute speech on the topic “How my Optimism Helps Me Overcome Obstacles.”
There were many contestants at the event from a variety of schools in the Falls, including North Junior High School, St. Anthony, and many other private schools, in addition to St. Mary. The contestants had to present their speeches twice in front of a large audience consisting of other students, parents, and 3 judges each time. The judges evaluated them on a variety of speaking techniques, including their speech content and delivery – cadence, volume, word choices, etc… They received these critique sheets at the end of the contest so they could learn from this experience and improve their public speaking.
Our St. Mary students did awesome! All four students made the top 10, (beating many other contestants!) and have been asked to attend the monthly Optimist meeting next week to
receive their prizes. Special congratulations goes out to Bella K., who placed second in the competition and is going on to the next level to compete in April! We are proud of Bella, along with all the students who were courageous enough to enter a contest on public speaking – Grace K. (6th grade), and 8th graders, Jenelle F. and Sierra G. Way to go, girls
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Car Seat and Booster Safety Check
- Germantown American Legion Fundraiser
- DYPC Junior & Senior Company Auditions
- ATI Physical Therapy Offers Complimentary Screenings at All Locations
- UMDF Energy For Life Walk Held on September 26th at Greenfield Park
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin to Host Declaration for Donations Blood Drive
- Brown Deer "Rolls Out the Barrels" in Summer Art Event
- John Kastner of R.A. Smith National Selected Wisconsin’s Young Engineer of the Year
- Fairy Queen Fantasy
- Free Summer Concert Series In Brown Deer Starts June 17