On Wednesday, March 21st, four St. Mary students participated in the Menomonee Falls
Optimist Club’s annual Oratorical Contest. These students had to write and present a 4-5 minute speech on the topic “How my Optimism Helps Me Overcome Obstacles.”
There were many contestants at the event from a variety of schools in the Falls, including North Junior High School, St. Anthony, and many other private schools, in addition to St. Mary. The contestants had to present their speeches twice in front of a large audience consisting of other students, parents, and 3 judges each time. The judges evaluated them on a variety of speaking techniques, including their speech content and delivery – cadence, volume, word choices, etc… They received these critique sheets at the end of the contest so they could learn from this experience and improve their public speaking.
Our St. Mary students did awesome! All four students made the top 10, (beating many other contestants!) and have been asked to attend the monthly Optimist meeting next week to
receive their prizes. Special congratulations goes out to Bella K., who placed second in the competition and is going on to the next level to compete in April! We are proud of Bella, along with all the students who were courageous enough to enter a contest on public speaking – Grace K. (6th grade), and 8th graders, Jenelle F. and Sierra G. Way to go, girls
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Art of Wellness Chiropractic's Annual Holiday Food Drive
- Journey to Bethlehem at Whitefish Bay United Methodist
- St. Mary School eighth grade students Delve Deeper Into Underwater Exploration at Discovery World
- Milwaukee Tradition Continues: BMO Harris Bank Display Opens December 2
- Winter Fun for Everyone in Mequon
- MECA's Angels for Animals
- Free Admission to Christmas Silver Tea & Christmas Cookie Sale
- Milwaukee Lutheran's Bel Canto Choir Presents Riverdance Musical Selections Dec. 14-15
- City of Glendale Menorah Lighting Ceremony: Community-wide “Light up the Night!” event to celebrate Chanukah
- Santa Visits Granville in Milwaukee on December 14