Milwaukee, Wis. – The Parenting Network invites teachers, social workers, parents, and any adults interested in the well-being of children to a Stewards of Children workshop on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 from 9:00-11:30 a.m. at The Parenting Network.
Stewards of Children is an evidence-based curriculum created by Darkness to Light, a non-profit dedicated to the prevention of child sexual abuse. Using a combination of video, workbook and discussion, this workshop is designed to educate adults on how to prevent, recognize and react responsibly to the reality of child sexual abuse.
“This training is very powerful,” said Ruth Miller, program director at The Parenting Network. “I’ve been to many workshops on the subject, but Stewards of Children really presents the topic of child sexual abuse in a way that is empowering for adults. For too long, the responsibility has been placed on the child, but in reality, only adults can prevent sexual abuse.”
The training is open to the public and is of specific interest among teachers, social workers, youth workers, coaches, ministers, counselors, childcare providers, parents and any adult who cares about children.
This workshop will be held at The Parenting Network at 7516 W. Burleigh St., Milwaukee. Beverages and snacks will be provided. Certificates of completion will be distributed to participants.
To register for this training, contact Ruth Miller at email@example.com or 414/671- 5575 x30. Registration deadline is May 20. If you are unable to attend this training, contact Ruth to schedule a training for your group.
The Parenting Network is the lead agency for Awareness to Action Milwaukee, a child sexual abuse initiative funded by the Children’s Hospital & Health System’s Child Abuse Prevention Fund and the Wisconsin Children’s Trust Fund.
Since 1977, The Parenting Network has served families throughout the greater Milwaukee community through its mission to strengthen parenting and to prevent child abuse. Services are provided:
• At Home – home visiting and case management services for any family in need
• At School – healthy relationship education to prevent sexual violence and teen pregnancy; parenting education for expectant and parenting teens
• In the Community – confidential Parent Helpline and a wide variety of parenting education and support classes and groups developed for specific parenting populations at sites throughout Milwaukee County
For more information about The Parenting Network, please call the Parent Helpline at 414/671-0566 or go to theparentingnetwork.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- An Evening With Eugene Schulz
- Teen Applauds School’s E-Cigarette Policy
- Joseph Klucarich attends 75th Class Reunion
- Memorial Lutheran Church to host 2nd Annual Fall Faith Fair this weekend!
- Join The Fire Bells - See Us at Thiensville Safety Day
- Local Wins Gold Award for Middle-Grade Book, 'George Knows'.
- Brown Deer's Christina Crawford performs in A Tale of Two Cities
- Trustmark Foundation makes donation to Ozaukee Family Services
- SCORE 50th Anniversary Luncheon October 9th
- SpirTed will perform on Saturday,September 20th