“It’s very motivating to help children. Everyone must do something. Help your family and friends, of course, but there are many more out there that need extra help”
-- Amparo de Luis
Milwaukee -- Our Next Generation Inc. is proud to welcome Amparo de Luis to its staff of volunteers.
De Luis moved to Milwaukee from Spain in September 2010 because of her husband’s job transfer. When she arrived, she had some cultural adjustments to make.
First, she noticed that not many Spaniards live in the Milwaukee area. Second, she was shocked to learn people in Milwaukee eat dinner so early. In Spain, she is used to having dinner at 10 or 11 p.m. This is why her favorite Milwaukee restaurant is La Merenda because it caters to people who enjoy a late dinner. Her favorite city landmark is the Milwaukee Art Museum pavilion because it was designed Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava.
De Luis says Madrid’s economic climate is similar to Milwaukee’s, with pockets of high crime and elevated high school dropout rates. While in Madrid, Amparo taught Spanish and volunteered with the visually impaired, so she knows how to advocate for change.
“It’s very motivating to help children,” de Luis says. “If you have free time, the best thing to do is help youth and get to know new people.”
De Luis embodies the qualities of diversity and dedication, which is vital to serving urban youth. Currently, she is teaching Spanish at Our Next Generation Neighborhood Center to three middle school girls who are passionate about learning the language.
How did a Milwaukee transplant from Madrid find Our Next Generation?
“I wanted to get involved (in my new community) and in Spain a nonprofit is abbreviated O.N.G. for organizational non-governmental,” de Luis said. “So I googled ONG and the first link was Our Next Generation!”
De Luis read about Our Next Generation and knew she wanted to get involved. “It was destiny,” she said.
Our Next Generation Inc. is a nonprofit, community-based organization providing academic mentoring and associated support programs for urban youth. Our Next Generation serves nearly 600 neighborhood children from 25 schools and is supported by hundreds of volunteers providing hundreds of hours of time annually.
Our Next Generation is working to build an effective team of parents, teachers, staff and volunteers through one-on-one relationships. To become instrumental in the continued success of this organization, please contact Our Next Generation.
For more information, contact Robert Dunn at (414) 344-2111 or visit www.ongkids.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Annex Wealth Management to Host Women, Wine & Wealth - A "Sandwich Generation" Break February 24 at Harvey's Central Grill
- Daddy Daughter Date Night at Sky Zone February 11
- UWP March Science Night - Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease
- UW-Parkside Traditions of Excellence Nominations
- Talk on Religion, Ecology and Identity in Southern Africa at UWM Feb. 19
- Allrite Home & Remodeling Wins Milwaukee NARI Gold Award
- Nicolet High School Presents James and the Giant Peach
- Fun Fair is Coming to Brown Deer!
- Area’s Best Remodelers Honored during Milwaukee NARI’s Prestigious Wisconsin Remodeler of the Year Awards
- SAVE THE DATE! - February 27, 2016 – Get Ready to Shake, Rattle and Roll those Dice!