New coach Murray hopes to lead experienced Falcons girls to a stable, solid season
Team starts season with rout of Destiny
Brown Deer - The Brown Deer girls basketball team has another new coach in Vinnie Murray and already there have been some encouraging signs for the Falcons who finished 10-14 last season.
"The reception has been great so far," Murray said. "The support from the girls and their parents has been overwhelming. The girls are willing to work and they have really put forth a good effort."
Murray is a basketball veteran. He was most recently a junior varsity and varsity assistant coach for the powerful Dominican boys team for some time and before that spent time as the Port Washington girls coach.
A native New Yorker, he coached there 10 years before moving to Wisconsin.
Already there has been a bit of an uptick in team numbers as Murray has 11 players on varsity and nine on the junior varsity. Veteran hands include 5-5 seniors Jasalyn Lee and Allison Laurent. Other veterans include juniors 5-7 Sabrina Wimmer, 5-8 Valerie Whiyee and 5-5 Imani Stingley. A key newcomer, 6-0 sophomore Shayna Key, provides valuable height.
"There's been a lot of energy so far," Murray said, "and we're really trying to push the underclassmen team. There's a lot of room for improvement but I like the way they're jelling right now. We got everyone back we were supposed to and I like these kids a lot.
"Our goals are to get a bit further along every game, but in this league it will be interesting matching up our strengths against such a varied schedule. There are a whole bunch of games that will allow us to be who we are and then others where we'll have to mix it up and try to matchup as best we can."
In the season opening 75-13 win over Destiny School on Nov. 21, the Falcons went up 18-4 and then never looked back as Wimmer had 21 points, 5-9 sophomore forward Kendall Laurent 16, Whiyee 14 and Lee eight.
The Falcons opened Woodland Conference play this week against Whitnall on Tuesday and then host Shorewood (2-0) at 7:30 p.m. Friday.
"If we do what we're supposed to do, we should be able to hang with a lot of teams," Murray said.
- Baseball : Whitefish Bay baseball team advances with 4-0 win over Brown Deer
- Brown Deer boys advance three to state track meet
- Brown Deer's Pierson, Schimenz head to state tennis tournament
- Brown Deer boys win own track meet
- Adams did not let Brown Deer boys basketball team falter this season
- Dominican boys basketball team learned lessons in early loss to Brown Deer
- Brown Deer field house gets a serious hoops workout (1)
- Boys basketball: Milwaukee Lutheran boys basketball team stuns reigning D3 champ Brown Deer, 90-65
- Brown Deer boys basketball team quietly wins fourth Woodland crown
- Brown Deer boys basketball team continues to roll and pass new tests