What was supposed to be the outdoor opener for the Brown Deer boys track and field team on April 15 turned into an improvised indoor meet as unseasonably cold temperatures and persistent flurries chased the participants in the eight-team Falcon Invitational indoors into the Novak Family Fieldhouse.
Brown Deer coach Rob Green said only the intrepid discus throwers were brave enough to go outside as temperatures scarcely rose above 35 degrees.
It was still a productive day for the host Falcons, as they took third with 152 points. Hartford won with 240 and West Allis Central was second with 208.5.
Zack Baun continued his excellent early-season run of success by winning the 200-meter dash (24.2 seconds) and then posted a state honor roll worthy 6 feet-6 inches to claim the high jump.
Brown Deer also won a pair of exhibition events as Daniel Jones took the shot put (34-10) and Greg Okray the discus (99-9).
Brown Deer also scored seconds in the regulation shot and discus events as Jamar Manning threw the shot 43 feet even and tossed the discus 114-11 to earn those spots.
Other good finishes by event for the Falcons included the following: 3,200 relay — Todd Beadle, Travis Tremblay, John Smith and Nate McCarthy, third (9:36.2). 55 hurdles — Nick Coleman, fifth (8.1). 55 dash — David Nelson, fourth (7.1). 1,600 — Michael Weedon, third (5:04.0); Chris Jones, fourth (5:08.6). 4x200 relay — David Hubbard, Gerry Gilles, AJ Mayfield and Jerry McDaniel, third (1:48.3). 400 dash — Kalvin Wiley, third (56.3); Nyles Williams, fourth (58.9); Donovan Lucas, sixth (59.7). Four-lap relay — Hubbard, Kennedy McGuigan, Richard Khy-chhiv and David Nelson, third (1:20.9). 600 — Beadle, fifth (1:30.2). 300 intermediate hurdles — Nick Coleman, fourth (47.6). 1,000 — Jones, fifth (3:01.3). 3,200 — Weedon, third (11:13.9). Shot put — Randy Gregory, fourth (39-7 1/2). Discus — Andrew Lemense, third (101-8). Long jump — McGuigan, sixth (16-11 3/4). High jump — Williams, fourth (5-10). Pole vault — Gilles, fifth (9-6).
Brown Deer's track and field program will resume action Friday at the Howards Grove Coed Invite.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brown Deer baseball team hung together despite tough season
- Young Brown Deer baseball team finds some rays of light
- Baun's injury doesn't mar Brown Deer's state track efforts
- Brown Deer boys' depth leads to six state track entries
- Brown Deer boys track team wins own invite, girls third
- Buy-in important for D3 champ Brown Deer hoops success
- Boys basketball: Proud Brown Deer boys basketbal team claims second state title
- Boys basketball: Brown Deer boys basketball team heads back to state title game
- Brown Deer aims to "go get" another state boys basketball title
- Boys basketball: Brown Deer boys basketball team stays on gas pedal all the way to state