What was supposed to be the outdoor opener for the Brown Deer boys track and field team on April 15 turned into an improvised indoor meet as unseasonably cold temperatures and persistent flurries chased the participants in the eight-team Falcon Invitational indoors into the Novak Family Fieldhouse.
Brown Deer coach Rob Green said only the intrepid discus throwers were brave enough to go outside as temperatures scarcely rose above 35 degrees.
It was still a productive day for the host Falcons, as they took third with 152 points. Hartford won with 240 and West Allis Central was second with 208.5.
Zack Baun continued his excellent early-season run of success by winning the 200-meter dash (24.2 seconds) and then posted a state honor roll worthy 6 feet-6 inches to claim the high jump.
Brown Deer also won a pair of exhibition events as Daniel Jones took the shot put (34-10) and Greg Okray the discus (99-9).
Brown Deer also scored seconds in the regulation shot and discus events as Jamar Manning threw the shot 43 feet even and tossed the discus 114-11 to earn those spots.
Other good finishes by event for the Falcons included the following: 3,200 relay — Todd Beadle, Travis Tremblay, John Smith and Nate McCarthy, third (9:36.2). 55 hurdles — Nick Coleman, fifth (8.1). 55 dash — David Nelson, fourth (7.1). 1,600 — Michael Weedon, third (5:04.0); Chris Jones, fourth (5:08.6). 4x200 relay — David Hubbard, Gerry Gilles, AJ Mayfield and Jerry McDaniel, third (1:48.3). 400 dash — Kalvin Wiley, third (56.3); Nyles Williams, fourth (58.9); Donovan Lucas, sixth (59.7). Four-lap relay — Hubbard, Kennedy McGuigan, Richard Khy-chhiv and David Nelson, third (1:20.9). 600 — Beadle, fifth (1:30.2). 300 intermediate hurdles — Nick Coleman, fourth (47.6). 1,000 — Jones, fifth (3:01.3). 3,200 — Weedon, third (11:13.9). Shot put — Randy Gregory, fourth (39-7 1/2). Discus — Andrew Lemense, third (101-8). Long jump — McGuigan, sixth (16-11 3/4). High jump — Williams, fourth (5-10). Pole vault — Gilles, fifth (9-6).
Brown Deer's track and field program will resume action Friday at the Howards Grove Coed Invite.
- Brown Deer boys win own track meet
- Adams did not let Brown Deer boys basketball team falter this season
- Dominican boys basketball team learned lessons in early loss to Brown Deer
- Brown Deer field house gets a serious hoops workout (1)
- Boys basketball: Milwaukee Lutheran boys basketball team stuns reigning D3 champ Brown Deer, 90-65
- Brown Deer boys basketball team quietly wins fourth Woodland crown
- Brown Deer boys basketball team continues to roll and pass new tests
- Young Brown Deer boys fearless in face of intense schedule
- Brown Deer boys basketball team knock off unbeaten Eisenhower
- Boys basketball: Brown Deer nips New Berlin Eisenhower in triple overtime