Brown Deer boys rally again against Pius to stay unbeaten
Cudahy no match for 8-0 Falcons
Brown Deer - There's just something about Tuesdays for the Brown Deer boys basketball team.
Just a week after rallying from a 13-point halftime deficit against host Greendale, the Falcons needed to do it again, as host Pius XI went up 36-22 at the break on Dec. 11 before the unbeaten Brown Deer squad barreled its way to an 18-4 third quarter and an eventual 62-57 Woodland Conference victory.
"I told the guys after the game that they're really making it hard on us," coach Kelly Appleby said, "but the guys showed that they wouldn't cash in their chips. When we get down, the guys just respond to the situation."
Brown Deer kept its record pure Friday with a 69-25 rout of Cudahy.
The Falcons are in the midst of a critical week in the Woodland, as they visit Pewaukee (6-3) on Tuesday and then host New Berlin Eisenhower (6-2) at 7:30 p.m. Friday in their final preholiday contest.
"These are always interesting games," Appleby said. "They'll be real challenges for us."
Very much like the Pius contest. The Falcons' rally in the third quarter pulled Brown Deer into a tie at 40. Like he did against Greendale, guard D'Sean Groce opened things up offensively with a trio of 3-pointers in what Appleby felt couldn't have been more than a minute's time frame.
The Falcons then earned a small lead in the fourth quarter, and managed to hold the Popes at arm's-length the rest of the way.
Groce had five 3-pointers all told en route to 21 points as Trayvon Palmer had 16, Donte Harmon 14 and Desmond Jackson eight.
"It really was the same story as the previous game (against Greendale)," Appleby said. "They (the Popes) shot well early (hitting six 3-pointers in the first half), but we weathered the storm, ratcheted up the pressure (defensively) and got the game tied.
"We were able to go from there."
Appleby said that Harmon continues to play great defense and noted that Groce is the lightning-rod offensively that every team needs.
In the Cudahy game, the Falcons broke out to an 18-10 first quarter lead and expanded it to 31-12 at the half before coasting to victory.
A total of 12 players scored, led by Palmer with 17, while Jackson had 14 and Marcus Bond eight. Brown Deer drained seven three-pointers in the game, as Josh Mallet and Bond had two trifectas each.
"It was a good game to get everyone in," Appleby said.
- Baseball : Whitefish Bay baseball team advances with 4-0 win over Brown Deer
- Brown Deer boys advance three to state track meet
- Brown Deer's Pierson, Schimenz head to state tennis tournament
- Brown Deer boys win own track meet
- Adams did not let Brown Deer boys basketball team falter this season
- Dominican boys basketball team learned lessons in early loss to Brown Deer
- Brown Deer field house gets a serious hoops workout (1)
- Boys basketball: Milwaukee Lutheran boys basketball team stuns reigning D3 champ Brown Deer, 90-65
- Brown Deer boys basketball team quietly wins fourth Woodland crown
- Brown Deer boys basketball team continues to roll and pass new tests