Catholic Memorial could do no wrong, racing to a 41-7 lead and ultimately defeating Brown Deer in the WIAA Division 3 football playoffs at Carroll University on Friday, 48-28.
Senior running back Matt Hubley served as the table setter for the CMH offense, delivering 71 yards and four rushing touchdowns in the first half alone.
"Those guys (the offensive line) were doing a good job all night” said Hubley after the game.
Memorial moved on to a Level 2 game against Pewaukee -- a familiar foe at this stage of the postseason. The two programs have split games in Level 1 contests each of the past two postseasons.
Brown Deer looked like it had a case of nerves, particularly on an opening drive that could not have gone worse. The Falcons were whistled for a false start penalty on the first play from scrimmage, and quarterback Drew Worth was sacked on the second play and fumbled the ball, though Brown Deer recovered.
On the third play from scrimmage, BD fumbled the ball yet again, but this time Catholic Memorial junior defensive lineman Mitch Urich jumped on top of it, and the Crusaders scored five plays later.
The lone bright spot for Brown Deer was senior wide receiver Tray Palmer, who had a career night, catching 8 passes for 235 yards and two touchdowns. Brown Deer head coach Rob Green had high praise for his senior wide receiver after the game.
“He's a special athlete. He has been a three-way starter for a long, long time. He's a special kid, he's a good athlete, he's a competitor, he's one of our true leaders on this team and where he goes, we go, and we're going to miss him a year from now."Despite trailing 41-7, the Falcons showed some fight in the second half, scoring three touchdowns late to make the final score 48-28, but it was simply the Crusaders' night.
“We will be focused and prepped for Pewaukee," CMH coach Bill Young said. "Pewaukee is an outstanding team; they are 9-0, they won their conference championship, so we've got to play well."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 12
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 5
- Football: Despite another Herculean effort from Brown Deer's Baun, Rockets win thriller
- Bay and Nicolet tie for title in Brown Deer swim invite
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Aug. 29
- Baun in a comfort zone as Falcon football team opens their season with rout
- Baun looks to lead Brown Deer's football team to the top this season
- Hudson's versatility helped the Brown Deer baseball team
- Hedrick and Falcons got to know each other in 2014
- Brown Deer baseball '9' still competing hard in Woodland