Brown Deer — The new Brown Deer Walmart will open on Wednesday, Aug. 13.
Located at the former Lowe's site at 6300 W. Brown Deer Road, the new Walmart store will open after a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m. The grand opening celebration will include the presentation of $6,000 in grants from Walmart to the Brown Deer Police Department, North Shore Fire and Rescue and the Brown Deer School District.
The store, which will employ about 300 full- and part-time associates, will be open seven days a week from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. The store will offer fresh produce and a full line of groceries, including organic and natural selections. The store also features general merchandise, a full-service pharmacy and a one-aisle liquor department at the back of the store.
Walmart will also host a "Big Family Welcome" event from noon to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 16, offering family activities and free food samples while supplies last. The event will also give residents an opportunity to meet store manager Jason Radliff, who began his Walmart career in 2005 as an assistant manager.
"We are excited to open and bring a convenient shopping option to this area of the North Shore," said Radliff. "We would like to invite residents of the community to the grand opening Aug. 13 and the Big Family Welcome Event on Saturday, Aug. 16."
Walmart gained village approval last year after meeting specific requests from the Brown Deer Village Board, including curtailing its typical 24-hour availability to match the village ordinance on retail store hours; prohibiting any gun, ammo or weapon sales; landscaping throughout the property; and building a sound-retaining wall on the north side of the property.
In addition to the grant money, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation gave more than $24.7 million in fiscal year 2014 in Wisconsin, according to a news release. Walmart stores in Wisconsin have also donated about 13 million pounds of food in fiscal year 2014, according to a news release.
- Rock climbing wall, trampolines might come to Brown Deer business park
- Brown Deer man accused of molesting, photographing 11-year-old stepdaughter
- Brown Deer school taxes going down
- Brown Deer Elementary School schedule might change
- Three juveniles arrested after police pursuit
- Marquette students offer marketing advice to Brown Deer
- Gas station, offices coming to Brown Deer
- Brown Deer named an 'All-America City'
- Brown Deer competing to become an 'All-America City' (1)
- Public weighs in on Brown Deer Park changes (1)