Victim in Brown Deer fire was former educator Ronn Johnson
Home has extensive damage after early morning blaze
Brown Deer — Former educator Ronn Johnson was the victim of a fatal house fire Monday, a police spokeswoman said.
Johnson's body was found badly burned inside his home at 8581 N. 63rd St. and police could not immediately identify the gender. An autopsy performed Tuesday confirmed the victim was Johnson.
The North Shore Fire Department found the body during their secondary search of the home.
Brown Deer police are leading the investigation and have said the cause of the fire, and the cause of death are still unknown. Police are waiting on an autopsy report and toxicology results before any determination is made. The reports could take eight weeks or longer.
Johnson, 47, is an ex-charter school leader and former Milwaukee Public Schools teacher. He was charged this summer with nearly two dozen felonies in a child sex abuse case.
Johnson was out on bail after being accused of sexually assaulting five children over more than 20 years.
Two 911 calls came over about 5 a.m. Monday reporting smoke and flames coming from a residence on North 63rd Street. There was extensive damage to the home.
The North Shore Fire Department, the medical examiner's office, the ATF and the state fire marshal are helping Brown Deer police with the investigation, Lt. Lisa Kumbier with the Brown Deer Police Department said. A total of seven other departments responded to the blaze including Milwaukee, Wauwatosa, Menomonee Falls, Cedarburg, Thiensville, Mequon and Germantown.
Despite frigid temperatures, crews did not have any issues with water flow as neighbors had shoveled around two hydrants on the block. There were buses on-scene to provide personnel an escape from the cold.
— Danielle Switalski
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Video: DOT proposes 'Michigan left' intersection at Brown Deer, Green Bay roads
- Suspect in fiery Brown Deer crash arrested in Cincinnati
- Brown Deer partners with Marquette marketing class
- Shots fired during domestic violence incident in Brown Deer
- North Shore cops, firefighters take kids on Christmas shopping spree
- Brown Deer school finance director follows her faith to Messmer Catholic Schools
- Driver killed in Brown Deer crash was rushing granddaughter to hospital
- Shootout between two vehicles ends in crash (1)
- Brown Deer mom asks friends to bring food pantry donations to Thanksgiving dinner
- Brown Deer car crash kills driver, injures passenger