Victim in Brown Deer fire was former educator Ronn Johnson
Home has extensive damage after early morning blaze
Brown Deer — Former educator Ronn Johnson was the victim of a fatal house fire Monday, a police spokeswoman said.
Johnson's body was found badly burned inside his home at 8581 N. 63rd St. and police could not immediately identify the gender. An autopsy performed Tuesday confirmed the victim was Johnson.
The North Shore Fire Department found the body during their secondary search of the home.
Brown Deer police are leading the investigation and have said the cause of the fire, and the cause of death are still unknown. Police are waiting on an autopsy report and toxicology results before any determination is made. The reports could take eight weeks or longer.
Johnson, 47, is an ex-charter school leader and former Milwaukee Public Schools teacher. He was charged this summer with nearly two dozen felonies in a child sex abuse case.
Johnson was out on bail after being accused of sexually assaulting five children over more than 20 years.
Two 911 calls came over about 5 a.m. Monday reporting smoke and flames coming from a residence on North 63rd Street. There was extensive damage to the home.
The North Shore Fire Department, the medical examiner's office, the ATF and the state fire marshal are helping Brown Deer police with the investigation, Lt. Lisa Kumbier with the Brown Deer Police Department said. A total of seven other departments responded to the blaze including Milwaukee, Wauwatosa, Menomonee Falls, Cedarburg, Thiensville, Mequon and Germantown.
Despite frigid temperatures, crews did not have any issues with water flow as neighbors had shoveled around two hydrants on the block. There were buses on-scene to provide personnel an escape from the cold.
— Danielle Switalski
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Nile virus reported in North Shore
- Repair or replace? Brown Deer weighs options for DPW building (2)
- Milwaukee man charged in connection with attempted armed robbery at Brown Deer Walmart
- Armed robbery avoided with a push at Brown Deer Walmart
- Brown Deer closes on sale of former American TV and Appliance building
- Woman robbed at gunpoint at Brown Deer bank
- Brown Deer municipal buildings need improvements
- Brown Deer rolls out the rain barrels with public art event (1)
- North Shore Police Reports: June 25, 2015
- Zi's Sports Pub takes over former Prime Time Pub