International Auto dealership could land on 51st and Brown Deer
Village plans acquiring former gas station, day care site
Brown Deer — In his first year here, Village Manager Michael Hall says many residents and businesspeople have voiced a strong desire to replace an abandoned gas station at the southeast corner of Brown Deer Road and 51st Street.
"People are always asking me what's going to be done about that," he said in an interview.
The Village Board on Monday night took a first step toward action on that corner by unanimously approving a memorandum of understanding with the International Autos Group of West Allis for the gas station property and the adjacent KinderCare day care facility, 8750 N. 51st St. The village would acquire the two properties, then sell the combined site to International Autos, which would build a dealership for an unspecified luxury car.
According to its website, International Autos operates 18 showrooms in Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin. Auto brands the group sells include Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Subaru, Jaguar and Volvo.
Hall said International's dealerships include Audi North Shore, 4400 W. Brown Deer Road, and Infiniti North Shore in Glendale.
"The Audi has been a real good partner," he said of the Brown Deer dealership. As for the new dealership, "I don't know what it would be, they haven't told me yet."
In an interview, Hall said that under the memorandum "they have committed to reimburse us for the land acquisition, relocation and site preparation costs by Jan. 1, 2015." He told the board he hopes to acquire the properties by mid-summer, and said later the village has a self-imposed deadline of Oct. 1. The village is negotiating with Roettgers Oil Co., which owns the gas station property.
Hall emphasized that finding a new location in Brown Deer for KinderCare is part of the plan.
"We think they're a great business partner," he said of KinderCare. "They're very successful. Many people in Brown Deer use them. They want to stay in Brown Deer and we don't want to lose them."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wrong-way driver dies in hospital after three-car accident
- Update: 20-year-old woman released from hospital after car crash that killed 2 other women
- Video: DOT proposes 'Michigan left' intersection at Brown Deer, Green Bay roads
- Suspect in fiery Brown Deer crash arrested in Cincinnati
- Brown Deer partners with Marquette marketing class
- Shots fired during domestic violence incident in Brown Deer
- North Shore cops, firefighters take kids on Christmas shopping spree
- Brown Deer school finance director follows her faith to Messmer Catholic Schools
- Driver killed in Brown Deer crash was rushing granddaughter to hospital
- Shootout between two vehicles ends in crash (1)