A conceptual review of a proposed development with a gas station/convenience store, retail building and four-story Comfort Suites hotel failed to gain the support of the Brown Deer Plan Commission on June 9.
Doug Weas of Weas Development, the owner of the former Hearthside Rehabilitation property at 9305-9325 N. Green Bay Road, proposed developing the 14,500-square-foot multitenant project.
After the meeting, Village President Carl Krueger said the proposal was dense and lacking in green space.
Krueger also objected to the fact that Weas Development would ask for tax-incremental financing assistance. There is not a TIF district in that area, and Krueger said the site likely would redevelop without TIF assistance.
TIF allows municipalities to borrow money to fund improvements for an area that otherwise would be difficult to develop. The increased property-tax revenue from the land is diverted from the tax roll to pay off the loan.
Village Manager Russell Van Gompel said noise and traffic also were concerns.
Mary Buckley can be reached at (262) 446-6615.
- North Shore Police Reports, July 28, 2016
- North Shore Police Reports, July 21, 2016
- Rock climbing wall, trampolines might come to Brown Deer business park
- NOW's user submitted stories, photos will be discontinued in early August
- North Shore Police Reports July 14, 2016
- North Shore Police Reports, July 7, 2016
- North Shore farmers markets evolve with new offerings
- #BestSummerEverNOW: Share your 2016 summer photos of you in the Milwaukee suburbs
- Brown Deer man accused of molesting, photographing 11-year-old stepdaughter
- Jewish nonprofit leader passes torch after 13 years