A conceptual review of a proposed development with a gas station/convenience store, retail building and four-story Comfort Suites hotel failed to gain the support of the Brown Deer Plan Commission on June 9.
Doug Weas of Weas Development, the owner of the former Hearthside Rehabilitation property at 9305-9325 N. Green Bay Road, proposed developing the 14,500-square-foot multitenant project.
After the meeting, Village President Carl Krueger said the proposal was dense and lacking in green space.
Krueger also objected to the fact that Weas Development would ask for tax-incremental financing assistance. There is not a TIF district in that area, and Krueger said the site likely would redevelop without TIF assistance.
TIF allows municipalities to borrow money to fund improvements for an area that otherwise would be difficult to develop. The increased property-tax revenue from the land is diverted from the tax roll to pay off the loan.
Village Manager Russell Van Gompel said noise and traffic also were concerns.
Mary Buckley can be reached at (262) 446-6615.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports, Nov. 26, 2015
- Two cats, guinea pig killed in Brown Deer house fire
- Rumage Around: Getting to know you, my readers
- North Shore Police Reports, Nov. 19, 2015
- Oak Leaf Trail extension links Milwaukee to Ozaukee County
- North Shore Police Reports, Nov. 12, 2015
- Former Whitefish Bay resident returns to discuss her new novel
- Brown Deer police continue search for shooting suspect
- North Shore Police Reports: Nov. 5, 2015
- Carjacking under investigation in Brown Deer