Senior Lauren Senour has participated in several service projects as a member of the Brown Deer High School chapter of the National Honor Society. But her final project prior to graduation hit close to home.
Lauren, with the help of sisters Lisa, Michelle and Erin, and about 20 NHS members and other students, organized Concert for the Cure, held at the high school June 6.
Proceeds benefited the American Cancer Society.
After suffering from cancer for more than six years, the Senour girls’ mother, Diane, died in December.
“It meant a lot to me; it meant more to me than any other service project,” Lauren said of the event, held in memory of Diane and others who have died of cancer.
Five local bands donated their talents. Acts included rock bands End of Royalty, Lost in a Name and Now You Have Audio; hip hop artist Darrel Bridgeman; and acoustic guitarist Steve Kerwin.
Lisa, a junior, said there was a two-fold mission: to entertain the community and educate people about cancer.
Lauren said about 300 people attended the concert and about $2,000 was raised for cancer research.
Planning for the concert began in January, shortly after Diane died. Lauren said she wanted to have a fundraiser revolving around music because her mom loved it. Throughout childhood, Lauren said her mom encouraged her to pursue singing and acting.
“People were so willing to help out, and that was really nice,” Lauren said. “I think everybody was so supportive because it is such a universal cause.”
For Lauren, the show of support was another example of how neighbors have been therapeutic throughout her mother’s illness and in the aftermath of her death.
Dave Fidlin can be reached at (262) 446-6603.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Homestead ACT scores top North Shore
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 27, 2015
- West Nile virus reported in North Shore
- Newsweek: Whitefish Bay best Wisconsin school; 30th in nation
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 20, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 13, 2015
- Repair or replace? Brown Deer weighs options for DPW building (2)
- Milwaukee man charged in connection with attempted armed robbery at Brown Deer Walmart
- Armed robbery avoided with a push at Brown Deer Walmart
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 6, 2015