Everything from clay sculptures to contour drawings are being showcased.
Brown Deer residents can view the art of kindergarten through 12th-grade students through Friday, May 16, in the Community Room at the Brown Deer Public Library, 5600 W. Bradley Road.
Barb Balistreri, Dean Elementary School's art teacher, said it has been a long-standing tradition to display students' art in each school. In recent years, however, a collective effort has been made between all of the district's schools to have shows around the same time. The library's involvement also is relatively new.
Having a more polished show benefits the entire community, Balistreri said.
"We make art to show and to share," she said. "The end result and the finished product really are the icing on the cake."
Becky Klug, an art teacher at Brown Deer Middle School, said she is often inspired by the shows.
"It gives the community a chance to see what our kids have been doing and how they've been growing," Klug said.
Elementary students' works will be displayed through Friday, May 2, then middle-schoolers' art will be on exhibit through Friday, May 9. Art by high school students then will be displayed through Friday, May 16.
Every student enrolled in art will have at least one creation displayed. A variety of mediums will be represented, including two- and three-dimensional works, woven creations, sculptures, architecture, ethnic art, drawing, painting and jewelry.
Balistreri said there is a significant behind-the-scenes effort that takes place prior to the displays.
More than 20 parents have volunteered to transport art from the schools to the library. They also have performed such tasks as mounting the artwork, setting up displays and physically arranging the different pieces.
Dave Fidlin can be reached at (262) 446-6603.
- Gas station, offices coming to Brown Deer
- Brown Deer named an 'All-America City'
- North Shore Police Reports, June 23, 2016
- North Shore Police Reports, June 16, 2016
- Brown Deer competing to become an 'All-America City' (1)
- Public weighs in on Brown Deer Park changes (1)
- Police arrest Milwaukee man in Brown Deer shooting
- North Shore locals will be on June 11 Stars and Stripes Honor Flight
- Ballots fill up for fall elections
- North Shore Police Reports, June 9, 2016