Sometimes progress has to come in small increments, which is a thought that has already paid dividends for Brown Deer coach Jeff Bersch, whose team began this week 1-3.
"Let's put it this way," Bersch said. "Last season, we didn't have a single (Woodland) conference game go seven innings (which meant the Falcons lost by 10 runs or more every time out), but we've had two seven-inning games in conference already this season and one pitcher who no-hit us last year, we scored four runs off her this time."
The Falcons, who won just two games last season and are in the midst of a six-game slate this week, are building around an experienced, but young team. Senior outfielder Lauren Senour has shown great leadership, Bersch said, but is the only senior on the roster.
Junior returnees are first baseman Linden Worth, second baseman Ashley Haizel, shortstop Cheryl Stromski, pitcher Jenna Hespe and outfielders Sadie Haeflinger and Raven Crenshaw. A sophomore letterwinner is third baseman Darcy McMurtagh and the catcher is freshman Brittany Bobholz. Junior Kelly Boutell is a rotating starter in the outfield.
Through three games Hespe has posted a solid 1.16 ERA.
"Our hitting has been our biggest attribute so far," Bersch said, "but we need a little work defensively because we have a lot of people at new positions."
- Celebrate Memorial Day in the North Shore
- North Shore Police Reports: May 26, 2016
- Overturned truck closes I-43 at Brown Deer Road (UPDATED)
- Top beer gardens in the North Shore suburbs
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Faced with growing enrollment, Brown Deer transforms locker room into classroom (6)
- Jason Ind. sells Brown Deer building
- North Shore Police Reports: May 19, 2016
- Traffic accident closes lane of I-43 northbound Friday afternoon
- The Cheel in Thiensville champions Nepal relief