Sometimes progress has to come in small increments, which is a thought that has already paid dividends for Brown Deer coach Jeff Bersch, whose team began this week 1-3.
"Let's put it this way," Bersch said. "Last season, we didn't have a single (Woodland) conference game go seven innings (which meant the Falcons lost by 10 runs or more every time out), but we've had two seven-inning games in conference already this season and one pitcher who no-hit us last year, we scored four runs off her this time."
The Falcons, who won just two games last season and are in the midst of a six-game slate this week, are building around an experienced, but young team. Senior outfielder Lauren Senour has shown great leadership, Bersch said, but is the only senior on the roster.
Junior returnees are first baseman Linden Worth, second baseman Ashley Haizel, shortstop Cheryl Stromski, pitcher Jenna Hespe and outfielders Sadie Haeflinger and Raven Crenshaw. A sophomore letterwinner is third baseman Darcy McMurtagh and the catcher is freshman Brittany Bobholz. Junior Kelly Boutell is a rotating starter in the outfield.
Through three games Hespe has posted a solid 1.16 ERA.
"Our hitting has been our biggest attribute so far," Bersch said, "but we need a little work defensively because we have a lot of people at new positions."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wrong-way driver dies in hospital after three-car accident
- Update: 20-year-old woman released from hospital after car crash that killed 2 other women
- Rumage Around column: A special performance
- North Shore Police Reports, Feb. 11, 2016
- Mistaken gun reports caused hourlong I-43 shutdown
- Video: DOT proposes 'Michigan left' intersection at Brown Deer, Green Bay roads
- County Board Chair Lipscomb claims 43 parks in danger of being sold
- North Shore Police Reports, Feb. 4, 2016
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in January
- Suspect in fiery Brown Deer crash arrested in Cincinnati