Sometimes progress has to come in small increments, which is a thought that has already paid dividends for Brown Deer coach Jeff Bersch, whose team began this week 1-3.
"Let's put it this way," Bersch said. "Last season, we didn't have a single (Woodland) conference game go seven innings (which meant the Falcons lost by 10 runs or more every time out), but we've had two seven-inning games in conference already this season and one pitcher who no-hit us last year, we scored four runs off her this time."
The Falcons, who won just two games last season and are in the midst of a six-game slate this week, are building around an experienced, but young team. Senior outfielder Lauren Senour has shown great leadership, Bersch said, but is the only senior on the roster.
Junior returnees are first baseman Linden Worth, second baseman Ashley Haizel, shortstop Cheryl Stromski, pitcher Jenna Hespe and outfielders Sadie Haeflinger and Raven Crenshaw. A sophomore letterwinner is third baseman Darcy McMurtagh and the catcher is freshman Brittany Bobholz. Junior Kelly Boutell is a rotating starter in the outfield.
Through three games Hespe has posted a solid 1.16 ERA.
"Our hitting has been our biggest attribute so far," Bersch said, "but we need a little work defensively because we have a lot of people at new positions."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Report: July 30
- North Shore communities react to state ban on municipal home inspections at time of sale
- Brown Deer closes on sale of former American TV and Appliance building
- Woman robbed at gunpoint at Brown Deer bank
- Brown Deer municipal buildings need improvements
- Whitefish Bay man allegedly charged officer with knives, screamed 'kill me' in officer-involved shooting
- North Shore Police Reports: July 23, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: July 16, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: July 9, 2015
- North Shore 911 callers to receive lifesaving CPR instructions