An experienced Brown Deer boys basketball squad, motivated in part by a poor ending to an otherwise good 2006-07 season, will look to make a lot of noise this winter.
"We know we have ability and talent, so right now it's a matter of applying it," Falcons coach Mike Novak said. "We have to find where we are because one through 15 on this team there isn't that much of a drop-off. We're looking for people to separate themselves."
Brown Deer opened the winter with Homestead on Nov. 27. The Falcons play a Woodland Conference game at Cudahy at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 30 and take on Brillion at home at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 1.
Brown Deer will carry 10 seniors this winter, nine of them letterwinners off the 14-7 team of a year ago. They include guards Kevin Wild, Justin Austin and Mike Farrington; forwards Taylor Simpson, Derrick Washington, Jonathan Thompson and Jamal Anwar and centers William Sherard and Mike Purtell.
The physical talent is there. Austin is a multi-time state track sprint champion and both Sherard and Wild were recently named CNI All-Suburban in football.
Newcomers include senior swingman Harry Evans, and juniors Steve Zielinski (center), Justin Gordon (forward), Deiryon Nicholson (guard), Chris Morgan (guard) and Duron Hale (guard).
"We're very fortunate that we do have some depth," Novak said. "That gives everyone a chance to get into the flow. We have the experience, the talent, the speed and the quickness and we haven't been displeased with how that's translated into offensive skills. Defensively, we still have some question marks though."
Novak said traditional powers like defending Woodland champs New Berlin Eisenhower, New Berlin West, Wauwatosa West and Pewaukee will be formidable again.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Homestead ACT scores top North Shore
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 27, 2015
- West Nile virus reported in North Shore
- Newsweek: Whitefish Bay best Wisconsin school; 30th in nation
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 20, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 13, 2015
- Repair or replace? Brown Deer weighs options for DPW building (2)
- Milwaukee man charged in connection with attempted armed robbery at Brown Deer Walmart
- Armed robbery avoided with a push at Brown Deer Walmart
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 6, 2015