Based on Tuesday's referendum vote, the Brown Deer School District will move forward with a two-campus building project that will serve kindergarten through sixth grade in one building and seventh through 12th grade in the other.
The district has one elementary school building that's fallen into disrepair and a newer middle and high school. The elementary school will be closed under the plan; the other two buildings will be renovated to accommodate additional grades.
Question one asked whether the district could be authorized to issue bonds in an amount not to exceed $18 million to tear down the elementary school and renovate the middle and high school. It was approved, 1,339-766.
Question two asked whether the district could be authorized to issue bonds in an amount not to exceed $4 million to make additional improvements to the high school gymnasium and buy related equipment. It was approved, 1,102-977.
Question one would raise taxes just more than 5%, but the district also is set to see a property tax reduction of about 4% starting next year, which would net out to just more than 1% for the taxpayer, according to the district.
The $4 million question would raise taxes an additional 2.7%.
There's no impact at all when taxpayers get their property tax bills next month, no matter what had happened with the referendum. That's because residents voted to keep the property tax the same as last year at a recent annual meeting.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- With state funding tied to enrollment, North Shore public schools turn to marketing
- Senior living center gets critical reception
- Rogers Memorial opens expansion process
- Voter turnout high in North Shore
- Refinancing referendum passes in Brown Deer
- Whitefish Bay sets sex offender limits
- Public weighs in on overpass at Green Bay and Brown Deer roads
- Brown Deer selects new police chief
- Brown Deer mother arrested in stabbing of 2 sons
- Green Bay Road meeting is July 30