Based on Tuesday's referendum vote, the Brown Deer School District will move forward with a two-campus building project that will serve kindergarten through sixth grade in one building and seventh through 12th grade in the other.
The district has one elementary school building that's fallen into disrepair and a newer middle and high school. The elementary school will be closed under the plan; the other two buildings will be renovated to accommodate additional grades.
Question one asked whether the district could be authorized to issue bonds in an amount not to exceed $18 million to tear down the elementary school and renovate the middle and high school. It was approved, 1,339-766.
Question two asked whether the district could be authorized to issue bonds in an amount not to exceed $4 million to make additional improvements to the high school gymnasium and buy related equipment. It was approved, 1,102-977.
Question one would raise taxes just more than 5%, but the district also is set to see a property tax reduction of about 4% starting next year, which would net out to just more than 1% for the taxpayer, according to the district.
The $4 million question would raise taxes an additional 2.7%.
There's no impact at all when taxpayers get their property tax bills next month, no matter what had happened with the referendum. That's because residents voted to keep the property tax the same as last year at a recent annual meeting.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore 911 callers to receive lifesaving CPR instructions
- North Shore Police Reports: July 2, 2015
- Brown Deer rolls out the rain barrels with public art event
- Three-day bus stoppage sends North Shore riders scrambling for transportation alternatives
- Fourth of July events in the North Shore
- Burglary suspects allegedly target Bay couple at funeral
- Patio returns to Brown Deer's Park View Pub
- Zi's Sports Pub takes over former Prime Time Pub
- Brown Deer School Board allows Algonquin School property to be marketed for sale
- Summer concert series warming up in Brown Deer