Brown Deer - The Brown Deer Police Department swore in their newest officer: canine officer Vader, an 18-month old Belgian Malinois who joined the department Nov. 11.
Police Chief Steven Rinzel explained that because Vader is considered an officer, he must be sworn in and that ceremony was held Dec. 13.
Vader, born in July 2011, is trained in narcotics detection, suspect apprehension, building searches, tracking and handler protection.
His handler is patrol officer Joshua Morgan who has trained and worked with Vader over the past weeks.
Also attending were Stan Kass and his son, Michael, who fully funded the purchase of Vader, which Rinzel said averages about $20,000. The chief also said the Kass family has provided generous donations for the K-9 program for more than 20 years.
During the swearing in, Vader was told he would "support the Constitution of the United States, the state of Wisconsin and the laws and ordinances of the village of Brown Deer."
When the chief finished speaking, Vader barked loudly.
The ceremony concluded with cake, coffee and dog biscuits.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 26, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 19, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 12, 2015
- Brown Deer expands TIF in hopes of redevelopment
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 5, 2015
- Brown Deer will see its 'Around the Corner' episode on Monday
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 29, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 22, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 15, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 8, 2015