Brown Deer - The Brown Deer School District went into lockdown twice Tuesday, first after a student mentioned a gun and later after neighbors reported hearing shots fired.
Per district safety protocol, the high school went into lockdown at approximately 9:35 a.m. after a staff member overheard a student remark that a gun was in the school. The staff member told administrators, who then contacted police.
Students were released back to class at 10:15 a.m. after school staff and Brown Deer police completed a search of the school and determined there wasn't a gun.
At approximately 2:55 p.m. Brown Deer police responded to a report of possible shots fired in the school-neighboring 8000 block of North 60th Street, prompting a second lockdown - this time of the entire district.
Officers on scene received conflicting statements over what type of sound was heard. Police later said there wasn't evidence on scene that the incident involved a firearm.
Superintendent Deb Kerr commented that after school busing and student pick up went smoothly after the lockdown ended at 3:35 p.m.
District administrators canceled all activities scheduled for Tuesday afternoon and evening.
"I wanted to make sure the police had the room they need," Kerr said. "I thought it would be good for everybody to go home, get a good night's sleep and come back ready to learn."
School administrators and police are following up for disciplinary action regarding the morning incident, and the police department stated in a release that the investigation into the afternoon incident is ongoing.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Badger Meter River Park opens in Brown Deer
- Woman charged with shoplifting, causing fiery car crash
- Brown Deer officials hope relocation of DPW building would alleviate TIF deficit (1)
- Brown Deer alum returns home to shoot first feature-length film (1)
- West Nile virus reported in North Shore
- Repair or replace? Brown Deer weighs options for DPW building (2)
- Milwaukee man charged in connection with attempted armed robbery at Brown Deer Walmart
- Armed robbery avoided with a push at Brown Deer Walmart
- Brown Deer closes on sale of former American TV and Appliance building
- Woman robbed at gunpoint at Brown Deer bank