The first day of school will be Sept. 4 in Brown Deer, but that wasn't a point of contention facing the School Board tonight.
Instead, when the board adopted the 2012-2013 calendar, it considered a comment from the public that was critical of regularly scheduled district in-service days.
Mark Ward told the board that as a private painting contractor he finds the early release days are difficult because of the need for child care in the afternoon. The district has early release, or half days, on the second and fourth Wednesdays of most months.
District Administrator Deb Kerr said the district will release Dean School students at 12:30 p.m. next year instead of the current 11:30 a.m. on early release days.
"We have had parents tell us they can leave work for 12:30 pick ups but not for 11:30," she said.
Kerr said there are several child care programs available to parents on early release days, including a $5 per child program offered by the Park and Recreation Department and wrap-around care offered by the Rite Hite YMCA.
At the suggestion of board member Leslie Galloway Sherard, the district will eliminate one of the release days in November. Sherard said the three days would interrupt the flow of instruction.
The calendar, as presented, had three half days on Wednesday - two for the in-service days and the third for early release the day before Thanksgiving. One of the in-service days will be eliminated.
Children will be out of school for the Christmas holidays at the conclusion of school on Dec. 21, returning to school Jan. 2.
The last day of school will be June 13.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brown Deer considering new civic buildings
- Burglary suspects flee police in Brown Deer, crash car in Whitefish Bay
- North Shore Police Reports: March 26, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: March 19, 2015
- Tickets now on sale for Brookfield Central's production of "The Foreigner"
- North Shore Police Reports: March 12, 2015
- Student achievement, performance is at top of priority list for Brown Deer School Board candidates
- Brown Deer approves amendment to TIF district
- North Shore Police Reports: March 5, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 26, 2015