Commission backs reopening car wash
Teutonia Avenue neighbors concerned about noise, loitering and trash
Brown Deer — A proposal to reopen a car wash brought out neighbors, both commercial and residential, to a Plan Commission meeting Monday.
Village Manager Russell Van Gompel said residential neighbors east of the car wash at 8200 N. Teutonia Ave. want to make sure customers would not loiter and play loud music. Neighbors had complained to police about music and noise coming from the car wash, particularly later in the evening, when the car wash was last open.
The neighbors want a full-time attendant on site but the new operator, Davinder Toor, plans to have an employee check the business several times a day. Toor operates another car wash in Milwaukee.
He plans to repair fences around the trash enclosure, maintain the building and work with neighbors to address concerns.
Village President Carl Krueger said business owners on either side of the car wash said in the past car wash customers bothered them for change or to use restrooms.
The commission suggested signs to discourage both practices, Krueger said. The car wash has two change machines, he added.
The commission made one change in the proposed conditional-use permit, changing the opening hour from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. It would close at 9 p.m.
Toor agreed to meet with the police department on a quarterly basis to review any problems that could develop.
WHAT: Village Board consideration of a conditional-use permit for Teutonia Avenue car wash
WHEN: 7 p.m. Monday
WHERE: Village Hall, 4800 W. Green Brook Drive
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Bomb squad examines grenade found in Brown Deer house
- River Lane Inn will become Pastiche
- Cats, guinea pig die in fire
- Brown Deer police continue search for shooting suspect
- Carjacking under investigation in Brown Deer
- Update: Brown Deer police identify shooting suspect
- Education foundation makes first appeal in Brown Deer
- Accused rapist ran a group home for boys; More victims urged to come forward
- With increasing enrollment, Brown Deer schools expect $900K increase in state aid
- Man charged with raping 15-year-old boy at gunpoint in Brown Deer