Commission backs reopening car wash
Teutonia Avenue neighbors concerned about noise, loitering and trash
Brown Deer — A proposal to reopen a car wash brought out neighbors, both commercial and residential, to a Plan Commission meeting Monday.
Village Manager Russell Van Gompel said residential neighbors east of the car wash at 8200 N. Teutonia Ave. want to make sure customers would not loiter and play loud music. Neighbors had complained to police about music and noise coming from the car wash, particularly later in the evening, when the car wash was last open.
The neighbors want a full-time attendant on site but the new operator, Davinder Toor, plans to have an employee check the business several times a day. Toor operates another car wash in Milwaukee.
He plans to repair fences around the trash enclosure, maintain the building and work with neighbors to address concerns.
Village President Carl Krueger said business owners on either side of the car wash said in the past car wash customers bothered them for change or to use restrooms.
The commission suggested signs to discourage both practices, Krueger said. The car wash has two change machines, he added.
The commission made one change in the proposed conditional-use permit, changing the opening hour from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. It would close at 9 p.m.
Toor agreed to meet with the police department on a quarterly basis to review any problems that could develop.
WHAT: Village Board consideration of a conditional-use permit for Teutonia Avenue car wash
WHEN: 7 p.m. Monday
WHERE: Village Hall, 4800 W. Green Brook Drive
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brown Deer closes on sale of former American TV and Appliance building
- Woman robbed at gunpoint at Brown Deer bank
- Brown Deer municipal buildings need improvements
- Brown Deer rolls out the rain barrels with public art event (1)
- North Shore Police Reports: June 25, 2015
- Zi's Sports Pub takes over former Prime Time Pub
- North Shore Police Reports: June 18, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: June 11, 2015
- Brown Deer School Board allows Algonquin School property to be marketed for sale
- Summer concert series warming up in Brown Deer