Brown Deer residents who had sewer backups in their basements after a sewer gate malfunctioned during heavy rains June 7 and 8 have the opportunity to get a new appraisal for their houses.
Village Manager Russell Van Gompel said Accurate Appraisals last week sent letters to property owners advising them of the opportunity for a free revaluation. There are about 200 houses in the affected area.
The village will pay the $30-per-parcel charge for the revaluation.
At meetings after the sewer backups, residents complained because they believed the value of their homes was less as a result of the backups. The village completed a villagewide revaluation and property values were established as of Jan. 1, 2008.
Van Gompel said Accurate Appraisals will review the affected properties and change values, if necessary.
"If the owners don't want to have the review, they don't have to," Van Gompel said.
Assessors will walk through the houses, take measurements and note the number of rooms and the extent of flood damage. The process should take about 30 minutes.
- Mary Buckley, Staff Writer
At a glance
WHAT: Property owners who are in the affected area can contact Accurate Appraisals for a free revaluation.
INFORMATION: Appointments can be made at accurateassessor.com or by calling (800) 770-3927.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 29, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 22, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 15, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 8, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 1, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Dec. 25, 2014
- 'Shop with a cop' event makes Christmas wishes come true
- North Shore Police Reports: Dec. 18, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: Dec. 11, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: Dec. 4, 2014