Brown Deer residents who had sewer backups in their basements after a sewer gate malfunctioned during heavy rains June 7 and 8 have the opportunity to get a new appraisal for their houses.
Village Manager Russell Van Gompel said Accurate Appraisals last week sent letters to property owners advising them of the opportunity for a free revaluation. There are about 200 houses in the affected area.
The village will pay the $30-per-parcel charge for the revaluation.
At meetings after the sewer backups, residents complained because they believed the value of their homes was less as a result of the backups. The village completed a villagewide revaluation and property values were established as of Jan. 1, 2008.
Van Gompel said Accurate Appraisals will review the affected properties and change values, if necessary.
"If the owners don't want to have the review, they don't have to," Van Gompel said.
Assessors will walk through the houses, take measurements and note the number of rooms and the extent of flood damage. The process should take about 30 minutes.
- Mary Buckley, Staff Writer
At a glance
WHAT: Property owners who are in the affected area can contact Accurate Appraisals for a free revaluation.
INFORMATION: Appointments can be made at accurateassessor.com or by calling (800) 770-3927.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Bomb squad examines grenade found in Brown Deer house
- River Lane Inn will become Pastiche
- Cats, guinea pig die in fire
- Brown Deer police continue search for shooting suspect
- Carjacking under investigation in Brown Deer
- Update: Brown Deer police identify shooting suspect
- Education foundation makes first appeal in Brown Deer
- Accused rapist ran a group home for boys; More victims urged to come forward
- With increasing enrollment, Brown Deer schools expect $900K increase in state aid
- Man charged with raping 15-year-old boy at gunpoint in Brown Deer