This is the last day on which letters related to the Aug. 12 primary election will be published.
To the editor,
I wanted to reach out to the North Shore NOW with some great news about a community coming together. In May, Brown Deer High School held the annual Spring rite of Prom and also the ever-popular Post Prom. I was asked to assist on the Post Prom Committee and gladly accepted the challenge of being charged with being the lead on the "Donation and Raffle" Committee.
The Post Prom Committee started work in the Fall of 2013 and I started composing and tweaking letters to send out to businesses, community leaders and individuals throughout Brown Deer and around the state. I even sent some letters out of state to gain enough donations and raffle items for Post Prom. Every month, I would receive items and every month, I would relay the information at our monthly Post Prom Committee meeting.,Through this process, I was extremely impressed, not only with the generosity of the community and businesses therein, but also with the drive, passion, and creativity of the committee members I worked with.
I am happy to say that Post Prom was a success, and it was a success due to all of the hard work, dedication, and insight of the following people:
Theresa Murphy: Committee Chairwoman
Dave Lucre: Treasurer
Sue and Scott Laurent: Decorations
Lisa and Kevin Lyman: Fundraising
Holly Gray: T-shirts
Jennifer Weeden: Entertainment
Stephanie and Steve Gilles: Food
Ren and Michael Bembenek: Advertisement and Tickets
Chris Miller: Donations and Raffle
We as a committee would like to thank all of the businesses, families, and community leaders for their support and gracious donations. Without their kindness, we would not have had the success we did. I have lived in Brown Deer for over 15 years and I have witnessed this community come together many times, but this is the first time I witnessed it first-hand by becoming active in such an important event. It is good to see this for a good cause versus tragedy or loss as is too often the case. On behalf of the 2014 Post Prom Committee, I offer our thanks to all who supported our cause.
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Faced with growing enrollment, Brown Deer transforms locker room into classroom (3)
- Jason Ind. sells Brown Deer building
- Brown Deer police detain two teenagers in attempted carjacking in Walmart parking lot
- Brown Deer Middle/High School named a National School of Character
- Gas station, commercial building could be built behind Fox 6 studios in Brown Deer (1)
- DOT to host hearing on intersection of Brown Deer, Green Bay roads
- Brown Deer has secret sculpture garden
- Brown Deer man charged in armed bank robbery
- Newcomers Machgan, Henderson secure seats on Brown Deer School Board (2)