The opposition to the General Capital proposed zoning change for apartments at the Beaver Creek Condominium site in Brown Deer has been overwhelming. At the first major meeting on this subject on April 15, 1,080 petition signatures against the change were delivered to the Village Board. An estimated attendance at that meeting was 80 to 85 residents.
The second major meeting with village leaders was on May 28 where an estimated crowd of 220 attended the Plan Commission meeting that was set up as a Public Hearing. A presentation was made by General Capital and many residents spoke against this proposal. A vote was taken with 90 percent against it.
Then the third major meeting was held by the Community Development Authority Board on June 13. This board was scheduled to discuss a request by General Capital for additional financial assistance from Brown Deer. That request for funds in itself was an arrogant act for a project they knew full well the residents did not want. Once again, the courtroom was filled with a standing-room-only crowd of 80 to 85 residents. But, before the meeting started it was announced that General Capital withdrew their request for funds without explanation and did not show up for the agenda item that was to be discussed that evening. Yet another arrogant move. Those in attendance still wanted their comments heard and 23 people spoke up. One suggested that a vote be taken and it was 100 percent against the request for funds.
The only question now is: Does this mean that General Capital has finally recognized that the residents are united against this project, or is this another of their stall tactics?
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Two cats, guinea pig killed in Brown Deer house fire
- Brown Deer police continue search for shooting suspect
- Carjacking under investigation in Brown Deer
- Update: Brown Deer police identify shooting suspect
- Education foundation makes first appeal in Brown Deer
- Accused rapist ran a group home for boys; More victims urged to come forward
- With increasing enrollment, Brown Deer schools expect $900K increase in state aid
- Man charged with raping 15-year-old boy at gunpoint in Brown Deer
- Brown Deer will build new public works building (2)
- Badger Meter River Park opens in Brown Deer (2)