Brown Deer Police Department loses canine officer
Justis served the community for eight years
Brown Deer - Brown Deer Police Officer Brad Caddock was on duty on July 18 with his canine partner Justis when Justis unexpectedly passed way.
The news release from Brown Deer Police Department said the dog died of gastric torsion, a congenital disease that most often occurs in large breed dogs that moves quickly and can be fatal.
Justis, a Dutch Shepard born in Holland and trained at Southern Police K-9 Academy in North Carolina, became a member of the department Nov. 24, 2004.
"He was trained as a multipurpose canine fluent in narcotic detection, evidence retrieval, tracking and officer protection," said Caddock. In addition, the officer explained that Justis also worked and assisted many agencies in southeastern Wisconsin.
When Caddock became the canine officer, Justis moved in with him and his family and became very much a member of that family.
Sometimes after returning home, Caddock would be called back to duty.
"And as I was getting ready, Justis would leap up and as we headed for the door, he'd pull me all the way to the car," Caddock said. "He was ready to go because he knew we had a job to do and he loved doing his job."
Justis was to be a part of the department's "Night Out For Justice" on Tuesday appearing with Caddock.
This year, however, Caddock will be there but Justis ended his watch July 18. To honor his eight years of service, the department will have a short presentation at 7 p.m.
"There is a bond," Caddock said. "It's hard to explain but I knew he would always be there for me."
Rest in peace faithful partner.
- Maureen Mertens, NOW correspondent
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brown Deer will build new public works facility (1)
- Badger Meter River Park opens in Brown Deer (2)
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Woman charged with shoplifting, causing fiery car crash
- Brown Deer officials hope relocation of DPW building would alleviate TIF deficit (1)
- Brown Deer alum returns home to shoot first feature-length film (1)
- West Nile virus reported in North Shore
- Repair or replace? Brown Deer weighs options for DPW building (2)
- Milwaukee man charged in connection with attempted armed robbery at Brown Deer Walmart
- Armed robbery avoided with a push at Brown Deer Walmart