Brown Deer Police Department loses canine officer
Justis served the community for eight years
Brown Deer - Brown Deer Police Officer Brad Caddock was on duty on July 18 with his canine partner Justis when Justis unexpectedly passed way.
The news release from Brown Deer Police Department said the dog died of gastric torsion, a congenital disease that most often occurs in large breed dogs that moves quickly and can be fatal.
Justis, a Dutch Shepard born in Holland and trained at Southern Police K-9 Academy in North Carolina, became a member of the department Nov. 24, 2004.
"He was trained as a multipurpose canine fluent in narcotic detection, evidence retrieval, tracking and officer protection," said Caddock. In addition, the officer explained that Justis also worked and assisted many agencies in southeastern Wisconsin.
When Caddock became the canine officer, Justis moved in with him and his family and became very much a member of that family.
Sometimes after returning home, Caddock would be called back to duty.
"And as I was getting ready, Justis would leap up and as we headed for the door, he'd pull me all the way to the car," Caddock said. "He was ready to go because he knew we had a job to do and he loved doing his job."
Justis was to be a part of the department's "Night Out For Justice" on Tuesday appearing with Caddock.
This year, however, Caddock will be there but Justis ended his watch July 18. To honor his eight years of service, the department will have a short presentation at 7 p.m.
"There is a bond," Caddock said. "It's hard to explain but I knew he would always be there for me."
Rest in peace faithful partner.
- Maureen Mertens, NOW correspondent
- DOT to host hearing on intersection of Brown Deer, Green Bay roads
- Brown Deer has secret sculpture garden
- Brown Deer man charged in armed bank robbery
- Newcomers Machgan, Henderson secure seats on Brown Deer School Board (2)
- Brown Deer Park golf course to get new driving range (1)
- Brown Deer seeks to fill looming Kohl's vacancy (5)
- Four new faces running for Brown Deer School Board
- Brown Deer police release details about officer-involved shooting of unruly bus patron
- Brown Deer officers shoot unruly bus rider
- 3-year-old child killed in rollover crash in Brown Deer