Brown Deer schools join consortium to study teacher pay
As membership grows, cost per district drops substantially
Brown Deer - The school district will join a growing list of districts to fund a study that will develop a template for a teacher evaluation system.
The evaluation system would be used to help determine salaries for teachers since the compensation system in teacher contracts that was formally used no longer exists.
Director of Finance Emily Koczela said the consortium would hire a consultant at a cost of $174,868. The cost per district, originally estimated at $2 per pupil, is dropping rapidly, she said.
"There are now so many (consortium) members that the numbers are falling," Koczela said. "We are now in the range of 80 cents to $1.20 per pupil."
Superintendent Deborah Kerr and Director of Teaching and Learning Greg Schaffer will represent the district on an oversight committee for the project.
"This is the same group that worked on the handbook," Kerr said.
She also plans to include teachers in the process.
The handbook template provided the districts with a model they could tweak to fit individual district's needs. Koczela said she expects the teacher assessment project will provide a similar template that would be brought to the School Board and modified appropriately.
The consortium may be giving recommendations to the state on teacher evaluation methods, Schaffer said.
"It is important to be in the group so we know what is happening and have some say in it," he said.
The board on Tuesday approved participation in the consortium.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: August 28, 2014
- With state funding tied to enrollment, North Shore public schools turn to marketing
- Senior living center gets critical reception
- Bus driver dies after medical episode
- Rogers Memorial opens expansion process
- North Shore Police Reports: August 21, 2014
- Voter turnout high in North Shore
- North Shore Police Reports: August 14, 2014
- Refinancing referendum passes in Brown Deer
- Whitefish Bay sets sex offender limits