Brown Deer — A proposed 60-unit apartment building along Bradley Road remains a viable prospect in the village after officials approved conceptual plans recently.
The Plan Commission on Dec. 13 favorably forwarded the plans for the development, dubbed Bradley Crossing, in the 4300 block of West Bradley Road to the Village Board, whose members voted favorably last week.
The parcel had been earmarked for condominiums after a shopping center was razed several years ago. However, officials from General Capital, owner of the property, said the condo market has been in a state of decline and have instead recommended apartments occupy the property.
As proposed, the development could feature up to 20 units for people with disabilities or special needs. Jewish Family Services has been tapped to work with General Capital in the development proposal.
Reaction to the apartments has been mixed. Proponents within the community cite the need for such a development, particularly for people with disabilities or special needs. Opponents, including nearby residents, voiced concerns about a proliferation of apartment complexes in the area and the potential for property values to decline.
Village Manager Russell Van Gompel said the proposal remains tentative as further steps in the review process, including drafting a development agreement, take place.
"This is just the first phase of the process," he said.
Other plans within the development include a proposed 5,000-square-foot community center that could provide services for residents with cognitive and physical disabilities.
- Dave Fidlin
- DOT to host hearing on intersection of Brown Deer, Green Bay roads
- Brown Deer has secret sculpture garden
- Brown Deer man charged in armed bank robbery
- Newcomers Machgan, Henderson secure seats on Brown Deer School Board (2)
- Brown Deer Park golf course to get new driving range (1)
- Brown Deer seeks to fill looming Kohl's vacancy (5)
- Four new faces running for Brown Deer School Board
- Brown Deer police release details about officer-involved shooting of unruly bus patron
- Brown Deer officers shoot unruly bus rider
- 3-year-old child killed in rollover crash in Brown Deer