Brown Deer — A proposed 60-unit apartment building along Bradley Road remains a viable prospect in the village after officials approved conceptual plans recently.
The Plan Commission on Dec. 13 favorably forwarded the plans for the development, dubbed Bradley Crossing, in the 4300 block of West Bradley Road to the Village Board, whose members voted favorably last week.
The parcel had been earmarked for condominiums after a shopping center was razed several years ago. However, officials from General Capital, owner of the property, said the condo market has been in a state of decline and have instead recommended apartments occupy the property.
As proposed, the development could feature up to 20 units for people with disabilities or special needs. Jewish Family Services has been tapped to work with General Capital in the development proposal.
Reaction to the apartments has been mixed. Proponents within the community cite the need for such a development, particularly for people with disabilities or special needs. Opponents, including nearby residents, voiced concerns about a proliferation of apartment complexes in the area and the potential for property values to decline.
Village Manager Russell Van Gompel said the proposal remains tentative as further steps in the review process, including drafting a development agreement, take place.
"This is just the first phase of the process," he said.
Other plans within the development include a proposed 5,000-square-foot community center that could provide services for residents with cognitive and physical disabilities.
- Dave Fidlin
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Nile virus reported in North Shore
- Repair or replace? Brown Deer weighs options for DPW building (2)
- Milwaukee man charged in connection with attempted armed robbery at Brown Deer Walmart
- Armed robbery avoided with a push at Brown Deer Walmart
- Brown Deer closes on sale of former American TV and Appliance building
- Woman robbed at gunpoint at Brown Deer bank
- Brown Deer municipal buildings need improvements
- Brown Deer rolls out the rain barrels with public art event (1)
- North Shore Police Reports: June 25, 2015
- Zi's Sports Pub takes over former Prime Time Pub