Brown Deer — Pink will be the color of the day Wednesday in village police cars, at Village Hall, in the schools and at the North Shore Fire Department.
The Brown Deer Police Department is the instigator for pink, participating in Justice for a Cure, an awareness and fundraising program benefiting the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation for breast cancer research. In cooperation with the Wisconsin law enforcement community, the department invites the rest of the village to show its colors.
"Patrol officers will be wearing a small (breast cancer awareness) pin for the day," police Lt. Lisa Kumbier said. "Office personnel will wear pink for the day."
Fire Department personnel will have a pink duty T-shirt, according to fire Lt. Steve Mode. Personnel will wear the shirts Oct. 18 through 23. Purchasing the shirt is voluntary, as is wearing it, Mode said.
Police officers will have a pink "Justice for a Cure" T-shirt, and the Police Department designed and sold a "Brown Deer Pink Out" shirt for village and school employees, in addition to the NSFD pink shirt.
The NSFD shirt is being sold to the public for $15 at Station 2 in Glendale, 5901 N. Milwaukee River Parkway.
The first 150 shirts sold out within days, but there are more, Mode said.
The "Passionately Pink for the Cure" pins that patrol officers will wear are on sale at the Police Department for $3 each.
Funds raised through the sale will be donated to the Komen foundation.
The Police Department also planned a potluck luncheon for Wednesday that will raise funds for the southeast Wisconsin affiliate for Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
Seventy-five percent of the money raised will stay in southeast Wisconsin, and 25 percent will go to the national program to fund research.
Now-retired Dane County Deputy Sheriff Joan Kamholz started the Justice for a Cure campaign at the Dane County Sheriff's Department in 2008. In 2009 she expanded the program throughout Dane County and, in 2010, she expanded it statewide.
The Brown Deer and South Milwaukee police departments are the only two law enforcement agencies in Milwaukee County to participate in the statewide campaign so far.
price of a pink T-shirt
price of a pin
a cure for breast cancer
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brown Deer will build new public works facility (1)
- Badger Meter River Park opens in Brown Deer (1)
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Woman charged with shoplifting, causing fiery car crash
- Brown Deer officials hope relocation of DPW building would alleviate TIF deficit (1)
- Brown Deer alum returns home to shoot first feature-length film (1)
- West Nile virus reported in North Shore
- Repair or replace? Brown Deer weighs options for DPW building (2)
- Milwaukee man charged in connection with attempted armed robbery at Brown Deer Walmart
- Armed robbery avoided with a push at Brown Deer Walmart