Brown Deer - Longtime Water Department employee Hank Wallenkamp received special recognition Monday night, and was honored with the Wisconsin Water Association 2010 Heroism Award.
Water Department Superintendent Mike Rau submitted Wallenkamp's story after an incident last February.
Wallenkamp was driving to Milwaukee on Teutonia Avenue, bringing a piece of water main to a contractor.
It was about 11 a.m., Wallenkamp said, when a car lost control on icy pavement and T-boned another vehicle. He stopped his truck, positioning it to protect the damaged vehicles. The driver of the T-boned car was injured, he said.
The driver was bleeding from her head, had a broken arm and later was found to have an injured hip.
Wallenkamp climbed through a window in her car, bringing her towels for her bleeding head and fashioning a splint for her arm.
"What I did is what the professionals (police and fire) do on a daily basis," he said.
Even more important, he stayed with the woman until paramedics from the Milwaukee Fire Department arrived to treat the woman.
"It was about 10 minutes," he said. "It seemed like a long time."
The woman has recovered.
- Mary Buckley
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: April 23, 2015
- Rogers Memorial unveils Brown Deer facility
- North Shore Police Reports: April 16, 2015
- One killed, firefighter injured in Germantown townhouse fire April 11
- North Shore Police Reports: April 9, 2015
- Three Brown Deer School Board members return for a second term
- North Shore Police Reports: April 2, 2015
- Brown Deer considering new civic buildings
- Burglary suspects flee police in Brown Deer, crash car in Whitefish Bay (4)
- North Shore Police Reports: March 26, 2015