Brown Deer - Longtime Water Department employee Hank Wallenkamp received special recognition Monday night, and was honored with the Wisconsin Water Association 2010 Heroism Award.
Water Department Superintendent Mike Rau submitted Wallenkamp's story after an incident last February.
Wallenkamp was driving to Milwaukee on Teutonia Avenue, bringing a piece of water main to a contractor.
It was about 11 a.m., Wallenkamp said, when a car lost control on icy pavement and T-boned another vehicle. He stopped his truck, positioning it to protect the damaged vehicles. The driver of the T-boned car was injured, he said.
The driver was bleeding from her head, had a broken arm and later was found to have an injured hip.
Wallenkamp climbed through a window in her car, bringing her towels for her bleeding head and fashioning a splint for her arm.
"What I did is what the professionals (police and fire) do on a daily basis," he said.
Even more important, he stayed with the woman until paramedics from the Milwaukee Fire Department arrived to treat the woman.
"It was about 10 minutes," he said. "It seemed like a long time."
The woman has recovered.
- Mary Buckley
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brown Deer rolls out the rain barrels with public art event (1)
- North Shore Police Reports: June 25, 2015
- Zi's Sports Pub takes over former Prime Time Pub
- North Shore Police Reports: June 18, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: June 11, 2015
- Brown Deer School Board allows Algonquin School property to be marketed for sale
- Summer concert series warming up in Brown Deer
- Brown Deer leads charge for tech ed licensing changes (1)
- North Shore Police Reports: June 4, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: May 28, 2015