Explore the outdoors
with activities at SANC
Bayside — The Schlitz Audubon Nature Center, 1111 E. Brown Deer Road, has activities for all ages. For information, call (414) 352-2880.
· Boomers & Beyond: Soils & Woody Plants: 9 to 11 a.m. Dec. 5; $15 for adult members, $17 for nonmember adults
Land manager Matt Smith teaches participants woody plant identification in dormant condition, both native and nonnative, using bud and twig characters.
· Raptor Saturday: 1 to 2 p.m. Dec. 7; free with center admission
Participants learn about eagles.
· The Spiritual World of Nature: Transcendental Meditation: Higher States of Consciousness: 1:30 to 3 p.m. Dec. 9; $10 for adult members, $12 for nonmember adults
Participants learn about the "Seven States of Consciousness" from enlightenment theory and the ways that modern science is measuring the reality of these states.
· The Spiritual World of Nature: The Earth Charter: 7 to 8:30 p.m. Dec. 10; $10 for adult members, $12 for nonmember adults
Participants learn about "The Earth Charter" and how it might be a guiding light and symbol of hope.
· Audubon Babies: Exploring Nature with the Very Young: 10 to 11:15 a.m. Dec. 11; $12 per session for members, $15 per session for nonmembers
Children 6 months to 2 years and an adult take a hike on the trails.
· Animal Movie Night: 6 to 9 p.m. Dec. 13; $5 for child and $8 for adult members, $7 for child and $10 for adult nonmembers
Participants make s'mores at the fireplace, meet animals and watch "The Croods."
· Nature Story Time Books & Boots: 9:30 to 11 a.m. Dec. 14; $3 for child and $5 for adult members, $4 for child and $6 for adult nonmembers
Families with children ages 3 to 7 will take a hike and hear a story. Puppets, props and live animals may be part of the story time.
· Nature Inspired Art: noon to 2 p.m. Dec. 14; $14 per session for members, $16 per session for nonmembers
Children in grades four through eight explore nature and use it to help create nature-inspired artworks. No prior artistic experience required.
· Lake Michigan Discovery Hike: 1:30 to 3 p.m. Dec. 16; $5 for adult members, $7 for nonmember adults
Participants hike on the lower terrace and lakeshore.
· Starry Nights of Winter: 6 to 7:30 p.m. Dec. 17; $5 for child and $7 for adult members, $7 for child and $9 for adult nonmembers
Participants gaze at starts from the trails and the top of the tower. The program begins inside and continue outside. Dress for the weather and bring a flashlight and binoculars.
African Children's Choir performs free concert
Milwaukee — The African Children's Choir performs at 7 p.m. Dec. 5 at Helen Bader Concert Hall, 2419 E. Kenwood Blvd.
The program features children's songs, traditional spirituals and gospel favorites. The concert is free; a freewill offering will be accepted to support African Children's Choir programs.
For information, call (262) 488-7777 or visit africanchildrenschoir.com.
Bank raises funds for Best Buddies trip to Hawaii
Shorewood — North Shore Bank is raising funds through Dec. 13 for the Shorewood High School Best Buddies chapter's BIG Trip.
Participants can sign up to receive a personal phone call from Santa. To sign up, download a form at northshorebank.com/pdfs/santa-calls.aspx and drop off or mail it and a donation to either North Shore Bank offices at 3970 N. Oakland Ave. or 4414 N. Oakland Ave. before Dec. 13. The suggested donation amount is $5 and checks can be made payable to Shorewood High School. On Dec. 14, Santa will make personal phone calls to all participating children to talk with them and find out who has been naughty or nice.
The offices also host Festive Fridays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dec. 6 and 13. The offices collect change and serve light refreshments. People also will be able to talk with students who are Best Buddies and teachers from the school about the program and the upcoming trip. The Best Buddies program pairs students with intellectual and developmental disabilities in one-to-one friendships with high school students. The chapter's BIG trip to Hawaii takes place in March.
For information, call (414) 964-6050 or (414) 964-6710.
Stritch hosts holiday performances featuring students
Glendale — Cardinal Stritch University, 6801 N. Yates Road, hosts "Musical Kaleidoscope," holiday performances by music majors, Stritch Women Singers, instrumental ensembles and a contemporary chamber ensemble, at 6 p.m. Dec. 6 in the Nancy Kendall Theater.
Admission is free.
For information, call (414) 410-4171.
Church hosts presentation of Handel's Messiah
Mequon — Crossroads Presbyterian Church, 6031 W. Chapel Hill Road, hosts the Milwaukee Area Messiah Community Chorus and Orchestra's presentation of Handel's Messiah at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 6.
There is no admission charge, but a freewill offering benefiting Milwaukee Rescue Mission will be accepted.
For information, visit mamcco.org.
Acacia presents 'Advent Redemption'
Mequon — Acacia Theatre Company performs "Advent Redemption" at 4 p.m. Dec. 7 in the Todd Wehr Auditorium at Concordia University Wisconsin, 12800 N. Lake Shore Drive.
The production features several of Acacia's short plays and a few of its all new tour offerings.
Pay what you like for admission.
For information, call (414) 744-5995 or visit acaciatheatre.com.
Chorus presents Christmas concert
Grafton — Ozaukee Chorus presents a Christmas concert at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 7 at St. Joseph Church, 1619 Washington St.
Tickets are $7 at the door and free for children younger than 12.
For information, call (262) 375-6500, Ext. 106.
Concordia hosts musical performances
Mequon — Concordia University Wisconsin, 12800 N. Lake Shore Drive, hosts musical performances in its Chapel of Christ Triumphant.
Admission is $7 for adults, free for children 17 and younger except where noted. Tickets can be purchased at the door. All seating is general admission.
For information call (262) 243-4405.
· 7:30 p.m. Dec. 6: Christmas at Concordia; all adult tickets are $10, students 17 and younger are admitted free; all tickets must be reserved by email firstname.lastname@example.org or through the automated ticket line (262) 243-4243; tickets will be available after Nov. 1
· 7:30 p.m. Dec. 16: Milwaukee Handbell Ensemble Christmas Bellfest; tickets are $10 for adults, $8 for seniors and $5 for college students and children younger than 18
· 9 a.m. Jan. 25: Milwaukee Handbell Ensemble Workshop for Intermediate/Advanced Ringers; $10 per ringer or $75 per choir, does not include music; reserve a spot by calling (262) 243-4240
· 3:30 p.m. March 16: Faculty Piano Recital – Michael Thiele
· 3:30 p.m. April 6: Kammerchor Concert
· 7:30 p.m. April 11: University Band and Jazz Ensemble
· 3:30 p.m. April 13: Symphonic Wind Ensemble and Chamber Orchestra Concert
· 3:30 p.m. April 27: Kammerchor and Selah Choral Concert with Concordia Chapel
· 3:30 p.m. May 4: Alleluia Ringers Concert
· 7:30 p.m. May 9: Milwaukee Handbell Ensemble Spring Concert; tickets are $10 for adults, $8 for seniors and $5 for college students and children younger than 18
Club holds pancake breakfast with Santa
Brown Deer — The Rotary Club of Milwaukee-North Shore holds its annual Pancake Breakfast with Santa event from 8 a.m. to noon Dec. 8 in the fieldhouse at Brown Deer High School, 8060 N. 60th St.
The event features pancakes, sausages, applesauce, strawberries, maple syrup, juice and coffee. Activities include art projects, door prizes, holiday music and kid-friendly movies. Pictures with Santa are available.
Advance tickets are $7 for adults and $3 for children 12 and younger. Tickets sold the day of the event will cost $8 for adults and $4 for children 12 and younger.
For information or to purchase tickets, call (414) 355-4700.
Church offers hour of readings, caroling
Thiensville — Lumen Christi Catholic Church, 138 W. Buntrock Ave., offers an hour of readings, choral music and congregational caroling at 4 p.m. Dec. 8.
The event is free.
For information, call (262) 242-7967.
Lynden Sculpture Garden hosts a variety of activities
River Hills — The Lynden Sculpture Garden, 2145 W. Brown Deer Road, hosts a variety of activities.
The garden is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, and noon to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. The sculpture garden will be closed from Dec. 24 through Jan. 2.
Admission is $9 and $7 for students and seniors. Members and children younger than 6 are free.
Admission includes access to the sculpture garden and house.
For information, call (414) 446-8794.
· Holiday Giftmaking Workshop: Windowsill Terrariums: 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. Dec. 8; free with admission
Participants will make terrariums.
· Silk Scarf Painting: A Workshop With Kelly Lahl: 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Dec. 14; $85 or $75 for members (all materials included)
Participants will learn to dye silk scarves. Each student will create three wearable and uniquely painted scarves as well as make some hand painted silk ribbon.
· grow Workshop With Yevgeniya Kaganovich: 1 to 5 p.m. Dec. 15
Kaganovich and her student assistants will take up residence in the studio to make the next "planting" of "grow," Kaganovich's durational installation. Drop in to watch or participate as Kaganovich will fuse layers of plastic to create a surface similar to leather or skin, mold the skin into plant-like volumes, stuff the volumes with more bags, and connect the forms with plastic bag "thread." Tasks will include cutting sheets and strips, fusing sheets and tubes, sewing bulb forms and connecting them to bases, crocheting tubes and necks, stuffing stalks and assembling the plants.
· Dog Days at Lynden: noon to 5 p.m. Dec. 21
Participants can bring their canine friends for an afternoon of romping in the garden. Dogs must be leashed and considerate of other visitors.
The Hideous Beast: Resort exhibit will be available through Dec. 21 in the nAbr Gallery.
Sarah Chudnow hosts a variety of December activities
Mequon — The Sarah Chudnow Community, 10995 N. Market St., hosts a variety of performances.
· 2 p.m. Dec. 8: Gary Wiesner
· 7 p.m. Dec. 8: music therapist Zoe Biller
· 2 p.m. Dec. 15: vocalist Julie Thompson
· 2 p.m. Dec. 22: vocalist Anne Davis
For information, call (262) 478-1500.
Take picture with Santa and then swim
Mequon — Splash! Swim & Wellness, 10636 N. Commerce Road, is holding a Santa photo event from 4 to 8 p.m. Dec. 13.
Santa will give a gift to all participants.
The sitting fee is $15 per child and does not include the cost of prints. Participants receive a web link and code to view prints to select and print at the store of their choice.
Open swimming is from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. The cost is $5 per person or $20 for the entire family. Admission is free for members and their families.
For information, call (262) 512-7946 or email email@example.com.
Enjoy pancakes with Santa at church
Whitefish Bay — The North Shore Kiwanis Club holds its Pancake Breakfast with the Santa event from 8 to 11 a.m. Dec. 14 at the St. Monica Parish Hall, 5600 N. Santa Monica Blvd.
The event features breakfast, including pancakes, sausage, juice, milk and coffee, a visit from Santa, raffles and face-painting.
Attendees should enter Door No. 1 from the parking lot on Lakeview Avenue.
Tickets are available at the door or from a Kiwanis member for $6 per adult (10 and older) and $4 per child (older than 2). All proceeds benefit Kiwanis youth charities.
For information, call (414) 332-1576.
Museum features Andy Warhol exhibit
Milwaukee — Andy Warhol's "Ten Portraits of Jews of the Twentieth Century" is on display from Dec. 15 to March 30 at the Jewish Museum Milwaukee, 1360 N. Prospect Ave.
An opening reception with guided tours and coloring and scavenger activities for families will be from noon to 4 p.m. Dec. 14.
During Pop Art and Popcorn from noon to 4 p.m. Dec. 25, "A Night at the Opera" and "Superstar: The Life and Times of Andy Warhol" are featured.
Additional programs will be available during the exhibit period.
The cost is $6 for adults, $5 for seniors, $3 for students and $15 for families. Admission is free for museum members.
For information, call (414) 390-5730 or visit jewishmuseummilwaukee.org.
Church hosts variety of concerts
Mequon — Unitarian Church North, 13800 N. Port Washington Road, hosts the following concerts at 7:30 p.m.
· Dec. 14: Yellow Room Sweethearts (Kitty Donohoe, Jan Krist, Annie Capps); $18 in advance or $21,$14 for young adults, donation for children 12 and younger; $1 discount for each food donation ($3 maximum)
· Jan. 11: Peter Mulvey; $16 in advance, $19
· Jan. 31: Ben Bedford; $13 in advance, $16
· Feb. 15: Garnet Rogers; $17 in advance, $20
· March 22: Jon Vezner; $15 in advance, $18
· April 19: Sally Barris; $15 in advance, $18
· May 10: Kitty Donohoe; $15 in advance, $18
For information, call (262) 375-3890.
Artists exhibits 'Life's Passion' at Concordia gallery
Mequon — Wisconsin artist Ellen Gilbert exhibitd five decades worth of her paintings in an exhibit titled "A Life's Passion" through Dec. 15 at the Concordia University Wisconsin Art Gallery, 12800 N. Lake Shore Drive.
The gallery is open from noon to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday and noon to 4 p.m. Sunday in Barth 107.
For information, call (262) 243-4300.
Drop off toys for Toys for Tots at local site
Brown Deer — Edward Jones, 3900 W. Brown Deer Road, is accepting toys for Toys for Tots through Dec. 19.
For information, call (414) 355-2522.
Gallery hosts 'Up, Down!' exhibit
Thiensville — River Edge Gallery, 184 S. Main St., hosts Milwaukee artist Melissa Dorn Richards' exhibition "Up, Down!" through Jan. 4.
The gallery is open from noon to 5 p.m. Thursday and Friday and noon to 4 p.m. Saturday.
For information, visit riveredgeartgallery.com.
Foundation holds 'An Evening with Martin Short'
Milwaukee — The Bayshore Community Foundation holds "Laugh It Up Milwaukee 2014: An Evening with Martin Short" at 8 p.m. Jan. 18 at The Pabst Theater, 144 E. Wells St.
The event benefits the Harry & Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center and the MACC Fund.
Tickets range from $75 to $95. To order tickets, visit laughitupmilwaukee.org.
Concordia presents theater performances
Mequon — Concordia University Wisconsin, 12800 N. Lake Shore Drive, presents a variety of theater performances.
· "A Celebration of Andrew Lloyd Webber: A Musical Revue" is presented at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 6, 7 and 8, at 1:30 p.m. Feb. 9.
· "Sense and Sensibility" is presented at 7:30 p.m. May 1, 2 and 3, and 1:30 p.m. May 4.
Tickets are $10 for adults, $8 for seniors and students, $5 for veterans and free for children younger than 12. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (262) 573-9070.
Acacia Theatre Company
announces 2013-14 season
Mequon — Acacia Theatre Company presents three productions during its 2013-14 season.
All performances are performed in Concordia University Wisconsin's Todd Wehr Auditorium, 12800 N. Lake Shore Drive.
· "Searching for David's Heart" by Cherie Bennett
8 p.m. Feb. 28, March 1, 6, 7 and 8, 4 p.m. March 8 and 3 p.m. March 2 and 9
· "Jane Austen's Persuasion" adaptation by Jennifer Le Blanc
8 p.m. July 11, 12, 17, 18 and 19, 4 p.m. July 19 and 3 p.m. July 13 and 30
Season subscriptions cost $38 or $30 for senior citizens, full-time students and full-time clergy. Single tickets for all productions will go on sale starting Sept. 1. Single tickets will cost $16 or $13 for senior citizens, full-time students and full-time clergy.
For information, call (414) 744-5995 or visit acaciatheatre.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!