• Amanda and Peter Schneider of Brown Deer are the parents of Daphne Lynn Schneider, born March 4, 2011, at Community Memorial Hospital in Menomonee Falls. She was 6 pounds, 11 ounces, and 19.75 inches long. She joins sister Nora, 2.
• Emily and Kurt Plahna of Mequon are the parents of Natalie Belle Plahna, born Feb. 21, 2011, at Community Memorial Hospital in Menomonee Falls. She was 5 pounds, 11 ounces, and 19.5 inches long.
• Anna Bakanova of Shorewood earned her bachelor's degree in sociology and economics from Boston University in Massachusetts in January.
• Sarah Berman of Mequon was named a fall semester presidential scholar with a 4.0 grade point average at Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa, where Jake Berman of Mequon made the fall semester dean's list.
• Soprano Graycie Gardner, daughter of Peter Gardner and Peg Randall Gardner of Mequon, performed with the Lawrence University vocal ensemble Cantala at the recent American Choral Directors' Association national conference in Chicago.
• Melissa Speaker of Mequon made the fall semester dean's list at Syracuse University in New York.
• Jake Marble and Arundhati Pillai, students at Lake Bluff Elementary School, were the Shorewood winners of the annual essay contest, "My Favorite Grandparent or Older Adult," sponsored locally by the Shorewood Senior Resource Center. Jake's essay was untitled, and Arundhati wrote "My Grandmother." Second place went to Eli Frank and Maeve McKaig, also students at Lake Bluff. Eli wrote "The Time of My Life," and Maeve wrote "Two Friends and Tic-Tac-Toe." The students have been invited to read their essays at an awards ceremony at 12:30 p.m. April 11 in the Village Center.
• Air Force Airman Jason D. Drapela graduated from basic military training at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio. He is the son of David Drapela of Brown Deer.
• Air Force Airman Franklin E. McGowan III graduated from basic military training at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio. McGowan, a 2007 graduate of Homestead High School, is the grandson of Cheryl Watts-Izard of Milwaukee.
• The following North Shore children will perform in the First Stage production of "Miss Nelson is Missing!" from April 29 to June 5 at the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts in Milwaukee: in the "Horace" cast, Mari Duckler (as Addie) from Mequon and Allison Yurkowitz (as Allison) from Whitefish Bay; in the "Smedly" cast, Blakely Martin (as Allison) from River Hills and Ellie Taft (as Cheryl) from Whitefish Bay.
• Andy Thompson was awarded the rank of Eagle Scout by Whitefish Bay Boy Scout Troop 398. Andy's Eagle service project involved repairing and improving the extensive hiking and running trails at Kletzsch Park in Glendale. Under his leadership, 22 volunteers performed 174 hours of service. Fewer than 2 percent of all Scouts achieve the Eagle rank, Scouting's highest honor.
Got some good news to share? We want to hear all about it. Send your announcements to Celebrations/NOW Newspapers email@example.com.
- North Shore Celebrations: May 15
- Celebrations: May 1
- Celebrations: April 24
- Celebrations: April 10
- Celebrations: April 3
- Celebrations: March 27
- Celebrations: March 20
- Celebrations: Feb. 11
- Celebrations: Feb. 6
- Celebrations: Jan. 23
- Celebrations: Jan. 9
- Celebrations: Jan. 2
- Celebrations: Dec. 12
- Celebrations: Dec. 5
- Celebrations: Nov. 28
- Celebrations: Nov. 21
- Celebrations: Nov. 14
- Celebrations: Oct. 31
- Celebrations: Oct. 24
- Celebrations: Oct. 10