The Brown Deer Police Department will use this blog to provide residents with current crime information and trends, crime prevention tips, as well as pertinent news, legal updates, and notes as it relates to your community and Police Department. E-mail the department | Police Department's Web Site
The Brown Deer Police Department would like to alert residents, specifically the senior citizens, of a current crime spree involving suspects impersonating healthcare workers. In surrounding jurisdictions, several elderly victims were approached at home by three female suspects. The suspects were dressed in healthcare smocks, which resembled what a nurse at a healthcare facility would wear. The suspects identified themselves as “from the hospital” and were at the residence to check on the elderly resident. In three of the cases the victims were recently treated at a healthcare facility.
Also, in three of the cases the female suspects convinced the elderly resident and were eventually allowed into the residence. In one of the cases, the females were not allowed into the residence, so they left and then returned to the residence, forcing their way inside of the residence. Once inside of the residence, the suspects take valuable items from the victim.
Here are some suggestions to prevent yourself from becoming a victim and/or if you already have healthcare personnel completing at-home visits:
- If you have healthcare personnel visiting you on a regular basis, verify with the agency if you have a surprise/unscheduled visit.
- Verify that the subject has identification for themselves and the facility that they are employed with (preferably a photo i.d. card).
- Do not allow anyone inside your residence that you are unsure of.
- Look out a window prior to opening your door and if you do not recognize the subject, or are not expecting a visitor, then do not open the door.
- If in doubt, call the police.