H 52° L 34°
Cloudy | 24MPH

Community Briefing

The Brown Deer Police Department will use this blog to provide residents with current crime information and trends, crime prevention tips, as well as pertinent news, legal updates, and notes as it relates to your community and Police Department. E-mail the department | Police Department's Web Site

Animal Licensing and Regulations

 As the new year has begun, the Brown Deer Police Department wants to ensure your animals are licensed for the 2008 year.  The Brown Deer Police Department would like to inform and remind residents of local ordinances regarding animals residents may have.  The following is a brief overview of Village of Brown Deer ordinances VL1-5-6, Dog and Cat Licenses, and VL1-6-1, Animal Regulations.  Please refer to the ordinances for more detailed and specific information.


•    All dogs or cats five months or older that are harbored, sheltered, or kept within the Village of Brown Deer shall be licensed

•    Licenses will not be issued unless rabies vaccinations are current

•    The license tag must be on the dog or cat

•    Special licenses are required to have more than two dogs and/or cats

•    Licenses and rabies tags attached to the animals’ collar assist officers in finding the owner of the animal if the animal does get loose.  It can also avoid significant fees or citations.

•    Penalties for not complying with licensing requirements begin at $58.60 and can increase depending upon circumstances

Regulations of Animals, Dogs, Cats

•    Animals cannot be “at large,” meaning off its premises, not on a leash, or under the control of someone.  If an officer must impound the animal because they cannot find the owner, there will be a $25.00 fee to release the animal.  If the owner cannot be identified the animal may be transported to Milwaukee Area Domestic Animal Control where their fees will apply

•    Animals cannot disturb the peace with habitual noises such as barking

•    Persons responsible for walking dogs or cats on property other than their own, must remove any excrement immediately

•    Possession of any wild animals (such as monkeys, bats, raccoons, poisonous reptiles, lions, or hybrids or any wild animal) is prohibited

•    Leashes or ropes should be attached so that they do not allow the animal to be entangled with another animal or object.  Leashes or ropes also need to be long enough to allow the animal exercise and access to food, water, and shelter.  It shall not be so long, however, that the animal can leave its property or harm people or other animals

•    Animals should not chase people, bicycles or vehicles

•    Penalties for not complying with these regulations generally begin at $109.00 and can increase depending upon circumstances

Vicious Dogs

•    Animals cannot attack people or other animals and should not be trained to do so

•    All animal bites must be reported.  The police department will conduct an investigation in conjunction with the health department.  The circumstances surrounding the animal bite will require the animal to be quarantined, and may result in the animal being declared vicious.

•    Dogs that have been declared vicious have additional requirements:

-    Prominent signage at the residence regarding the vicious dog

-    All vicious dogs must be confined indoors or in a kennel when not under the control of the owner with a leash and muzzle.  Vicious dogs cannot be tied out.

-    Vicious dogs must be spayed or neutered

-    A minimum of $100,000 insurance policy that will cover actions of the dog must be held by the owner

-    In the event of escape, attack, death, or sale of the dog the police department must be immediately notified

-    Special permits are required to keep a vicious dog

-    The police department or health department may make whatever inquiry is deemed necessary to ensure compliance with the above requirements

Please keep these requirements in mind when it comes to your pets.  This is important for the safety and peace of mind of you, your neighbors, and your beloved pets.

For information on licensing your dog or cat, please contact the Village Hall or Milwaukee Domestic Animal Control Center. 

-- By Sergeant Amy Koeppel

Reporting Suspicious Activity

To function effectively, the Brown Deer Police Department needs the assistance of responsible citizens.  We depend on you to call the Brown Deer Police Department immediately to tell us whenever you observe any suspicious persons or activity. Don't worry about "bothering" the Department as we are here to serve you. Even if your reported suspicions prove unfounded, think about what could happen if you don't act and the concern was legitimate. Some examples of activity to report:
  • A stranger entering your neighbor's house or apartment when it is unoccupied
  • Screaming or loud arguing,  heard anywhere
  • Offers of merchandise at ridiculously low prices
  • Anyone removing accessories, license plates or gasoline from a vehicle car
  • Anyone peering into parked cars may be looking for a vehicle to steal or for valuables left displayed in the car, or they may be removing parts, gasoline, or license plates from the car
  • Persons entering or leaving a business place after hours, heavy human traffic in/out of a residence, or loitering outside buildings
  • The sound of breaking glass or any other loud explosive noises could mean an accident, seeing broken windows/doors
  • Unfamiliar persons loitering around schools, parks, secluded areas or in the neighborhood or who do not live in the area
  • Any vehicle moving slowly and without lights, or following a course that appears aimless or repetitive is suspicious in any location
  • Abandoned or parked occupied vehicles containing one or more persons are especially significant if observed at an unusual hour or persons being forced into vehicles
  • Vehicles being loaded with valuables are suspicious if parked in front of a closed business or untended residence even if the vehicle is a legitimate looking commercial unit
  • Persons conducting “business” transactions from a vehicle
  • Persons exhibiting unusual behavior
Not every stranger who comes into your neighborhood is a criminal by any means.  There are many perfectly legitimate door-to-door sales, repairmen and servicemen moving around your neighborhood all the time.  But criminals can pose as legitimate business representatives so make sure they have appropriate identification if coming to your home.    To report suspicious activity if an emergency, call 911. The Brown Deer Police Department’s non-emergency line is 414-371-2900. To learn more about safety and other information on the Brown Deer Police Department you can visit the Village of Brown Deer website at and our community briefing blog at 

Identity Theft

Identity theft is a serious crime. How does it happen? Identity theft commonly begins with the loss or theft of a wallet/purse or obtaining your personal information from unsecure websites on the internet. The criminal then uses the personal information (name, address, date of birth, social security number) without your permission to commit fraud or other crimes. Steps to minimize your risk:

· Don't carry your social security card in a wallet.

Read more

Page Tools