The Brown Deer Police Department will use this blog to provide residents with current crime information and trends, crime prevention tips, as well as pertinent news, legal updates, and notes as it relates to your community and Police Department. E-mail the department | Police Department's Web Site
As the Holiday shopping season peaks the Brown Deer Police Department encourages citizens to be alert and take some simple crime prevention measures while shopping. Here are some important safety tips to keep in mind to avoid becoming a victim of crime.
· Avoid shopping alone. If you do shop alone, be sure to let someone know where you are going and when to expect your return.
· If carrying a purse be sure to keep it around your shoulder and not around your neck. Do not place purses or wallets in shopping carts, and if you do be sure they are not left unattended.
· Only carry with you what is necessary for your shopping trip. Avoid carrying excess sums of cash or credit cards and check to make sure that you have all belongings (purse, wallet, credit cards etc.) prior to leaving the store.
· When leaving a store be sure to have your car keys in your hand and check the inside of your vehicle prior to entering it.
· Park as close as possible to the store you are shopping at and attempt to park in a well-lit area.
· Be alert when exiting the store and report any suspicious persons or activity you observe to the police.
· Never leave packages or anything of value in view in your vehicle.
· If shopping with children be sure they know what to do if they become separated from you during your trip.
Following these tips will help to ensure you have a safe and enjoyable shopping experience during the Holiday season.