The Iraq war and its causes and aftermath has been and continues to be so distorted, that a word from some Iraq war veterans is in order. Silly comments are made by Bush supporters about whether the world would be better with Saddam in charge in Iraq. What a strange question this is after the U.S. supported horrible dictators like Somoza, Marcos, Thieu, Franco, Batista, etc. It also depends on whether you think the United States should follow international law.
The following are direct quotations from the IRAQ VERTERANS AGAINST THE WAR website [www.ivaw.org]:
"Why are veterans,active duty, and National Guard men and women opposed to the war in Iraq?
1. The Iraq war is based on lies and deception.
2. The Iraq war violates international law.
3. Corporate profiteering is driving the war in Iraq.
4. Overwhleming civilian casualties are a daily occurence in Iraq.
5. Soldiers have the right to refuse illegal war.
6. Service members are facing serious health consequences due to our Government's negligence.
7. The war in iraq is tearing families apart.
8. The iraq war is robbing us of funding sorely needed at home.
9. The war dehumanizes Iraqis and denies them their rights to self-dtermination.
10. Our military is being exhausted by repeated deployments, involuntary extensions, and activations of the reserve and National Guard."
There is much more at their website. While there are many vets who support the Iraq war, the opinions expressed above are rarely heard. These veterans and active service have a right to have their opinions read and heard. Too many who support the Iraq war are not involved, have sacrificed nothing, think they are being patriotic, are toy soldiers who like to "play" with war, or have a vested interest in it. The Iraq Veterans Against The War has 61 chapters in 48 states.